WHS keeps "losing" data disk RRS feed

• Question

•  

My system is built on a Gateway E6100 (P4, 1GB memory) with a 160GB IDE system drive and two 750GB SATA data drives, running the 120-day evaluation copy.  All hard drives are less than two months old, purchased from Newegg.  One week ago, one of the data drives failed hard, the system would not boot with it connected.  While waiting for the replacement, I deleted all backups, removed the remaining working data drive, and re-connected it into the storage pool and formatted it.  I then restored the shared volumes to this drive, but left backups turned OFF.  When the replacement data drive arrived, I installed and connected it as well. 

Since then, the system has apparently become unstable.  Each night, it indicates the original data drive (the one that didn’t fail hard) has “failed” or become “disconnected” and gives a list of files that could not be copied.  However, the drive is still accessible in the normal manner (directory, explorer, etc.) and the files claimed to be lost are all in perfectly good shape.  A reboot causes the failure to disappear until the next evening.  The drive has passed all Seagate Seatools tests (long and short) and the SMART has not been tripped.  It is obviously still working, and I don’t think it is useful to return it to Seagate for what appears to be a WHS problem.

Why does WHS indicate this drive is failing, only to indicate it’s OK once the system is rebooted?  Did the original drive failure somehow corrupt my WHS software installation?  I am willing to do a server re-install, but I’d like to understand the nature of this failure, first.  Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

• I would try a server reinstallation. If you don't get that option in addition to new installation, don't proceed until you've copied all the files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:01 PM

All replies

• Based on your description of events, you did some significant manipulation of disks and the file system outside of the Windows Home Server console. It's possible that you've damaged your WHS installation as a result. (There are tools available through a desktop session on the server that can do significant damage.)

You can try a server reinstallation; it will be an option in addition to new installation if all of your storage pool drives are visible to setup. If they aren't all visible, then you may have to start over from scratch.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:39 PM
  • All of the removal/replacement I mention was done from within the WHS console, using the tools/commands provided, I didn't do anything from the server other than examine the files that were supposedly "lost" and I accessed those shares through the servername, not directly from the D: drive (sorry if that wasn't clear). 

My thought was that the installation was damaged when the drive failed and crashed the entire system, preventing it from re-booting.  All the storage pool drives are visible, it's just the one drive that gets disconnected every evening, leading me to believe that something is happening during the backup time, even though backups are turned off.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:47 PM
  • I would try a server reinstallation. If you don't get that option in addition to new installation, don't proceed until you've copied all the files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:01 PM
  • OK, I will try that.  All of the shared folders are already copied to an external hard drive so I can't lose anything at this point.  Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:37 PM
  • If you don't mind starting from scratch, a new installation on the same hardware is the fastest way back to functionality. It  wipes all the drives in the server, so it doesn't need to rebuild/check tombstones.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:27 PM