New to setting up Customer Portal for CRM 2011 On Premise RRS feed

• Question

• I had the following questions regarding setting up Customer Portal for CRM 2011 On premise

i) Will this customer portal give me access to a custom entity that is linked to my CRM account entity as a child? If I set up account access permissions for a CRM contact, will those apply to anything related to that account, including that custom entity that has a many-to-one relationship with my CRM account?

ii) I am following the instructions in the documentation provided for setting up Customer Portal. I have used the websitecopy utility to add the content to CRM. Setting up the website is where I have all my questions:

a) Currently, my Customer Portal is set up as a separate website that I plan to add SSL to. So, do I specify the SSL address in all the steps listed in adding the web application to Azure? Does my CRM website need to be made accessible to the outside too or just the Customer Portal website?

b) Is the purpose of adding the web application to Azure so that Windows Live ID can be used by my customers to access my web portal? How does customer authentication work? Are they sent an invite from the Customer Portal website and are required to have a Windows Live ID in order to access my Customer Portal site once I add my web application to Azure?

c) I do not see any default.aspx in the 'Web' folder of the customer portal solution files. Are my customers directed to my CRM pages where they have limited access to the entities they can see or do they see the Home.aspx that says 'Contoso' for a logo? I am a bit confused as to what my customers should be seeing when they get on to my portal.

d) If I have absolutely no knowledge on working with the CRM 2011 SDK whatsoever, is this the right solution for me?

Please help. Thanks.

Chad Sriram

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:46 PM

All replies

• I'll try to address few questions Chad:

i) I think this is related to ii) c. Portal doesn't just expose entity pages in CRM for outside use, it's a full separate website that "talks to" CRM with different permissions to exposing different CRM functionalities. Security configurations you do on CRM therefore are different from accesses you configure for portal. Let me know if I get the underlying question wrong.

ii)

a) Portal can be accessible from outside while CRM isn't. Portal will authenticate when "talking" to CRM.

b) For portal solution ACS is the implemented authentication mechanism, while instruction steps focus on Live ID as authentication provider. That doesn't mean it's required, other authentication mechanisms can be used, they just have to be implemented. Can also use other auth providers if you use ACS, not just Live Id.

c) see question i). You get taken to whatever you decide is the entry point of website. In default setup it's home.aspx page I believe.

d) You can do a lot of customizations to portals solution without SDK via Portal administrator customizations - Portal administrator role allows you customization via UI.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:41 AM