Windows update not working error 0x8007050a - SOLVED

Question

• I'm posting this in the hopes of helping anybody else who runs across this issue.  Who knows, it may even be me again :). I couldn't find any other posts describing this specific error, or the resolution.

The problem:
    My mother brought me her ailing laptop with Windows XP SP2 after she started seeing popups warning her that she was infected with multiple viruses. Of course, the popups were trying to get her to install an antivirus program that I can't even remember. She had McAfee, but it was disabled by the virus. Windows Update was also disabled by the virus, and another symptom was that the default shell association for .exe files was changed to run the virus. I was able to manually remove the offending dlls and exes, but when all was said and done I could not access Windows Update because it failed with error 0x8007050a. I deduced that the Automatic Updates service (wuauserv) was not running, but when I tried to manually start it it failed with the same error code. The system event log showed the following error from the service control manager:
       The Automatic Updates service failed to start due to the following error:
       %%1290
    I verified that all registry settings for the wuauserv service were correct, but I could not get it to run. The WindowsUpdate.log file showed the following errors:
        FATAL: Unable to connect to the service (hr=8007050A)
        WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the service. (hr=8007050A)
    Researching the error code, I found that it indicates a problem with the service SID. Researching service SIDs, I finally ran across the program sc.exe, which allows one to examine the service SID of a service. I played around with this and found that the service SID for wuauserv was unrestricted.

The solution:
    What worked for me was changing the service SID to none for the wuauserv service. Here's the command I used:
       sc.exe sidtype wuauserv none

Hope this helps somebody else!
    Bartley

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:02 AM

Answers

• Non-Validation related question.

Issue does appear to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• "jbm160" wrote in message news:8fd47490-5c80-4b88-bd38-9b65370a0f9b...

I'm posting this in the hopes of helping anybody else who runs across this issue.  Who knows, it may even be me again :). I couldn't find any other posts describing this specific error, or the resolution.

The problem:
    My mother brought me her ailing laptop with Windows XP SP2 after she started seeing popups warning her that she was infected with multiple viruses. Of course, the popups were trying to get her to install an antivirus program that I can't even remember. She had McAfee, but it was disabled by the virus. Windows Update was also disabled by the virus, and another symptom was that the default shell association for .exe files was changed to run the virus. I was able to manually remove the offending dlls and exes, but when all was said and done I could not access Windows Update because it failed with error 0x8007050a. I deduced that the Automatic Updates service (wuauserv) was not running, but when I tried to manually start it it failed with the same error code. The system event log showed the following error from the service control manager:
       The Automatic Updates service failed to start due to the following error:
       %%1290
    I verified that all registry settings for the wuauserv service were correct, but I could not get it to run. The WindowsUpdate.log file showed the following errors:
        FATAL: Unable to connect to the service (hr=8007050A)
        WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the service. (hr=8007050A)
    Researching the error code, I found that it indicates a problem with the service SID. Researching service SIDs, I finally ran across the program sc.exe, which allows one to examine the service SID of a service. I played around with this and found that the service SID for wuauserv was unrestricted.

The solution:
    What worked for me was changing the service SID to none for the wuauserv service. Here's the command I used:
       sc.exe sidtype wuauserv none

Hope this helps somebody else!
    Bartley

How did you manage that? I tried using 'sc sidtype wuauserv' in an SP3 VM, and got 'Unrecognised command' for the sidtype!
    I would (and does) work in Vista and Win 7, although the command is not listed in the Help.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Non-Validation related question.

Issue does appear to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you!!!  Your fix worked beautifully. I was going crazy trying to find a solution.

Greg

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:54 PM
  • after doing this I now get a 127: the specified procedure could not be found?
    Monday, June 18, 2012 2:06 PM
  • That probably means that you mistyped the command (as did I first time around!)

make sure that you get the spaces right (I've exaggerated them here for clarity)

sc.exe    sidtype    wuauserv     none

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I'm running Xp SP3  and I've recently begun to see  " [Error number: 0x8007050A] "  when I try to run Windows Update.

I have BITS and Automatic Updates  services running  BITS was on Manual ( Demand Start )
    and Automatic Updates  was set to the  Automatic setting, which we know is absolutely necessary.
    BTW  I don't remember if I should change the  BITS service setting to  Automatic  ?
    Okay I've just looked at some  support.microsoft.com  articles (specifically http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958043 )
    and they apparently want  wuauserv, bits, and DcomLaunch  all set to  " Auto ".

I was interested to look at the  SID type  and all that.  Notice the bolded command words below.
    First I used the   " qsidtype "  command, and then the  " sidtype "  command.

Hey, it worked great.  I am grateful.
    This all occurred after I did a run of  ComboFix  last week.  ** Strong Warning :  Read the instructions, DON'T just run it like I did. **
    Not that my computer was badly infected, but I was trying to help my coworker fix his system.
    After this, I did find that I had to re-register several Windows Dlls.  regsvr32 ...

I still am not getting through the usual Windows Update process, due to an error w/o any number shown,
    but now I'm running the  FixIt  from this page --  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
    and it looks like that's going to repair my  Windows Update  components  ( am trying to save some time here, I have a lot of work to do! )

Larry

[me@here ~/Desktop]$ sc.exe qsidtype wuauserv
    [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS
    SERVICE_NAME: wuauserv
    SERVICE_SID_FLAG:  UNRESTRICTED

[me@here ~/Desktop]$ sc.exe sidtype wuauserv none
    [SC] ChangeServiceConfig2 SUCCESS

[me@here ~/Desktop]$ sc.exe qsidtype wuauserv
    [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS
    SERVICE_NAME: wuauserv
    SERVICE_SID_FLAG:  NONE

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Please post your inquiry in one of the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forums, thank you!

Carey Frisch

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Please do not resurrect old threads.

If you have a Activation or Validation (non-genuine) issue, please create your own thread for your own issue.

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:51 PM
    Owner