New/Clean System Setup Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Gooday!

I am just joining the project and plan to do one of two things to get my server going.  I would appreciate opinions or advice on which to follow...

My server is a new Dell PowerEdge 2900.  It has dual core CPU, 2 gig RAM, and Raid configurations on SATA drives.  Currently, it is setup with two 80gig drives in Raid-1 for the OS and three 200G drives in a Raid-5 for the data.

My original plan (before I got invited into the program) was to install VMWare ESX Server on the box and then create a Virtual Windows 2003 Enterprise network.  As an alternative, I was considering SBS 2003 R2 for the base virtual server. 

With my enrollment into this program, I am considering two options:

1. continue with my plan to install VMWare ESX (infrastructure 3) and then setup the Home Server on it as my virtual server.

2. install Home Server directly onto the system and not use VMWare at all. (paid over $1000 for SW though).

Once I get this decision made, I need to decide on how to partition my arrays.  I typically set up my Raid-1 with two partitions.  One for the OS and another for applications.  Then I use the entire Raid-5 for storage and direct all applications to store everything there.

With this new configuration (hardware) I have plenty of space on the Raid-5 and am considering a change of plans.  I'm thinking of a single partition on the Raid-1 for the OS and only the OS.  Then creating two partitions on the Raid-5 for the applications and storage.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this server too much for the project?  If so, I have two PowerEdge 2400 systems that I was planning to sell (any takers?) with plenty of spare drives, etc.

2. If it is not too much server, then which method of setting it up will be best.  Personally, I believe VMWare is the up and coming thing for small networks and potentially for home users so it might be a good test for Home Server to reside on top of VMWare. 

3. Once the OS decision is made, where should applications be placed (partitions) etc...

Anyone that wants to give me their opinion is welcome to.

Thanks again for the opportunity to play with the new software and to be part of what I think is a really good OS for home users

Tony

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. A pc is never 'too much'. Wether you test your system on a PowerEdge 2400 or 2900... If you were planning on selling the 2400's, then use the 2900 Wink. You'll get better performance with it.

2. VMWare. Yes, I think virtualization is great. However, home users are not going to pay for a Home Server License and a VMware license. Most will just install the Home Server. At least I would do that.

3. I'd go with what you said. Install the OS on one HDD. And install the applications on a partition and the data on the other partition of the RAID5.

Greetings
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:38 PM
  • When you install WHS, it will take over whatever hardware you have it pointed at, and (as part of the process of installing) reformat and partition any drives that are attached. You don't get the option to pick specific installation drives, or do your own disk partitioning. If you have RAID arrays attached, and you load appropriate drivers at the appropriate times, it will respect that they are being presented as single disks, but it will still reformat them.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. A pc is never 'too much'. Wether you test your system on a PowerEdge 2400 or 2900... If you were planning on selling the 2400's, then use the 2900 Wink. You'll get better performance with it.

2. VMWare. Yes, I think virtualization is great. However, home users are not going to pay for a Home Server License and a VMware license. Most will just install the Home Server. At least I would do that.

3. I'd go with what you said. Install the OS on one HDD. And install the applications on a partition and the data on the other partition of the RAID5.

Greetings
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  Didn't consider the VM aspect from home user perspective.  Was thinking more like compatability, but that isn't really a problem either .... duh!

Going to get it going this weekend probably...

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:29 PM
  • 1. To much? There is never enough, however WHS is designed to run on a minimal configuration so I would use the 2400, then you can test the server against the 2900 with any and all software configured.

Good Luck,

Cliff

Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:41 PM
  • When you install WHS, it will take over whatever hardware you have it pointed at, and (as part of the process of installing) reformat and partition any drives that are attached. You don't get the option to pick specific installation drives, or do your own disk partitioning. If you have RAID arrays attached, and you load appropriate drivers at the appropriate times, it will respect that they are being presented as single disks, but it will still reformat them.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:07 PM