downgrade from vista to windows xp RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a new Toshiba Satellite laptop that came with vista home but I want to downgrade back to xp pro, however I can't seem to get the drivers for the hardware to work with xp pro. Please assist as soon as possible. School reopens very soon.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:26 PM

Answers

• You would need to contact Toshiba support and ask them if a downgrade to Windows XP is supported on your Toshiba laptop.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• You would need to contact Toshiba support and ask them if a downgrade to Windows XP is supported on your Toshiba laptop.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:55 PM
  • The free downgrade option is available only for Toshiba computers that came with Vista Business or Ultimate. Your best option is to reinstall Vista, remove the bundled applications you know you won't use and adjust your personal settings to "best performance." The alternative is to buy XP (see if you can get an OEM copy from Fry's or similar store).

Regarding the drivers: I have had the same issue. If you're willing to invest the time, you should be able to secure most of the missing drivers from the Web for free. First you'll need to determine which drivers you need. Go to System Properties in Control Panel, and select Device Manager under the Hardware tab. When expand each device, hardware that may need drivers will be highlighted with a question mark or exclamation mark. To get more specific information about missing or outdated drivers you may want to download an application that will search your system for you. I used a trial version of "Driver Detective" to scan my computer and then Googled the drivers I needed. I got most of them from Intel and Toshiba's support pages.

Best of luck to you.

(Quick Note: I am not an IT professional - I just hate Vista. Also, I had Vista Home Premium installed on my Satellite. I called Toshiba hoping that they might give me a break and help me authorize my copy of XP Pro, They refused. Hence the recommendation to stick with Vista.)

Saturday, June 7, 2008 9:03 AM