BACKUP TO EXTERNAL HAD DRIVE RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed an external hard drive for the express purpose of using it to backup my main hard drive but live one care will not let me use it.  I've tried everything to get it to use the new external drive but it continues to ask for a CD or DVD to back up to .  I change the back up profile to use the external drive but it still asks for a CD or DVD.  How do get live one care to accept the external drive as my primary backup?

Monday, July 6, 2009 11:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this post on how to reset a backup plan and you should be able to reset the backup destination - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, July 6, 2009 12:30 PM
  • I've tried over and over to reset the profile and save but when I start backup Live One generates the and compresses the file for backup and then again asks for a CD or DVD even thuogh the profile for backup is set to the external hard disk.  The hard disk is recognized as a a souce in the profile.  Now It will not even accept the backup DVD I made last week.  It aske for a new disk.  It won't accept a cleand and refomatted DVD R/W.  Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:14 PM
  • I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Hello Jim:
     I purchased Windows Live One Care recently with my new Vista computer. Everything works fine except my back up. I have an external My Book and it is on "J" and we checked it and it says it works and we can see it is there but it will not do any back ups for me. I can also see backups from my old computer are still in there fine. I know it is not a space issue. I have printed out and tried and tried pluys read everything I can and I don't see what I am doing wrong any where.

I have clicked the hub and did all it said and it still won't back up.

Please help and I sure hope it is a simple move to fix it.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Is the external drive connected to the Hub PC and used for Centralized backup for other PCs in your Circle or is it attached directly to the new PC?
    When you tried to configure the backup on the new PC (or on the hub) what actually happened as you configured the backup plan for that PC?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:46 PM