Backup fails for an XP desktop - an error occurred reading or writing from the computers hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS backups have stopped working for one PC running XP, everything else on the PC appears fine.  WHS is fine and the other 3 PCs/laptops are being backup without a problem 1 xp, 2 Win7.

Error message on client connector software:

an error occurred reading or writing from the computers hard drive . . . .

This appear to be a known error so i have followed all suggestions:

I ran chkdsk /f /r on client during (re)boot

uninstalled connector and removed the PC from WHS (lost all my previous backups - yikes)

renamed the PC - thinking it could help to start an entirely new client.

reinstalled and connected PC with connector - with no improvements. 

also ran the chkdsk routine on the server using the post

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

event viewer on client says:

Backup set <xx> on <server> failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.NtfsReaderException: Bytes per Sector in Boot Block (0) doesn't match disk (512)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

event viewer on server says:

Received abort message from <computer name> with reason 6.

Any suggestions??  running out of ideas.

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• I finally reinstalled XP on top of the existing install, retaining programs and data.

reinstalled all patches and support packs. 

Now everything works again and was able to get through a complete backup without errors.

• Marked as answer by Marcus100 Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:30 PM