Moving WHS Hardware to new case -- Any gotchas to be aware of? RRS feed

• Question

• Due to some cooling issues with the existing case housing my WHS server, I am looking to purchase a new case that will offer a better cooling environment among other things. When moving the hardware (motherboard, expansion cards, etc) from one case to another, are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of? In particular, do I need to ensure that I plug each HDD back into the same SATA port as they were originally plugged into or will WHS not really care? I would guess at a minimum that I want the OS drive to be plugged into the same port; otherwise, I would anticipate some possible boot issues. While I will perform a full data backup beforehand, is there anything that I can do to maintain or otherwise ensure the availability of the client backups themselves? If there is any other feedback that might be of interest, I would welcome that as well.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:20 PM

All replies

• You should make sure your boot drive is connected to the first SATA port. Other than that it shouldn't matter too much.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Ken,

I would have to confirm but I'm pretty certain the boot drive is NOT connected to the first SATA port at present.   I didn't build this system myself so didn't have any input into its setup.   For some reason, I'm thinking it's connected to SATA port 3 or 4.   Should I keep it where it's connected currently or move to SATA 0?  If I do move it, will that cause any boot issues?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Ken,

I would have to confirm but I'm pretty certain the boot drive is NOT connected to the first SATA port at present.   I didn't build this system myself so didn't have any input into its setup.   For some reason, I'm thinking it's connected to SATA port 3 or 4.   Should I keep it where it's connected currently or move to SATA 0?  If I do move it, will that cause any boot issues?

If all you're doing is moving from one case to another (and not changing any other hardware), I would suggest you plug everything back in the same place you unplugged it from.  That way, there is no possible chance of anything going wrong.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Two things you can do.

1. If you have a Digital camera take a picture of the drives, cables and motherboard connections.

2. Take masking tape and label each drive, and cable to the corresponding motherboard connector (Sata1 to Sata1, Sata2 to Sata2 etc, etc).

I have used a Label maker (Dynamo) to print out the labels I need for my system and have never had to worry about plugging anything back in wrong.

j

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:54 PM