workflows activated but not running RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue where workflows are not running and I do not know where to start looking to diagnose the fault.

The solution I have after creating an entity runs a post create plugin that sets some time limits. Workflows then run which wait for those times. So far so good and in development all is fine. But when deployed although the workflows claim to be activated nothing happens. The time limits are set so I know that the plug in has worked but the next step is simply ignored by CRM.

Where might I start looking for some clues as to why this failed (because not surprisingly CRM is telling me nothing at the moment)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Check the permissions of the user under whom the workflow is running

2. Check the System Jobs to see if the workflow triggered / is waiting/ is failed?

3. Check if the Async service is running fine. if required, restart it.

Hope it helps!

Mamta

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:32 PM
    • Users have rights to execute workflows
    • The system jobs shows the workflow is never triggered
    • The Async service must be running because some of my plugin code runs asynchronously.

Which at least narrows it down a bit. So why on earth would crm choose to just ignore workflows. There isn't an analogous bit to the plugins for workflows is there? (i.e. that incredibly annoying bit where one has to include the dll and then go to a separate section to explicitly include the registration point)

• Edited by J N Brand Friday, August 30, 2013 8:40 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Eventually I decided to recreate the workflows from scratch and in so doing I noticed the "scope" parameter which appears to be the culprit. The scope parameter seems to default to user which is usually wrong for workflows triggered automatically. To be honest I'm not sure why scope even exists on a workflow rather than just inheriting from the visibility of the parent entity, if an entity is in scope for me then any workflows linked to that entity should also be in scope. Defaulting to user just stops the workflow process working.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 11:35 AM