ATI/AMD RD580 (Crossfire XPress3200) Chipset Motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-
    This is the motherboard I plan on using for my WHS once a full version of WHS with PP1 (or SP1 or whatever they call it) is released for me to buy:

(Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe)     http://techreport.com/articles.x/9467/1

It has the AMD/ATI RD580 Chipset with ULi M1575 South Bridge as well as an additional Silicon Image
    Sil3132 SATA controler (which I'm not sure I will use).

I also plan on using the Realtek ALC882 onboard audio as well as the Marvell 88E8053 PCIe Gigabit LAN Controller.

Will WHS have any issues with any of this hardware out of the box?  Will I need to get updated drivers?

BTW:  CPU will be an AMD 4000+ single core Athlon64 (San Diego Core) as well as 2GB DDR400 RAM.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Also, any recommendations on a cheap passively cooled video card I might throw in it?

ClockerXP
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

• Yes WHS is designed to run headless, but you should check with the manufacturer to make sure your motherboard will boot without one. You will need the video card to install the OS. Really any will do, a lowly PCI one or a cheap Nvidia / ATI.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's a bit OTT for a server that won't even has a graphics card in it. Also, a server won't make use of a sound card.

Prior to purchase, the first thing I would check, is that there are Server 2003 version drivers available for the SATA/NIC etc.

The CPU and RAM are just fine, WHS doesn't make great use of the CPU, unless you are transcoding internally and streaming itself doesn't use a great deal.However, WHS will make use of all the RAM.

Colin

Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Those are just spare parts I have laying around.  That's why I'm using them.  No purchase needed.

Don't I need a graphics card to install the OS?     However, can it be removed after the WHS installation is complete?

Thanks,
    CXP
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Yes WHS is designed to run headless, but you should check with the manufacturer to make sure your motherboard will boot without one. You will need the video card to install the OS. Really any will do, a lowly PCI one or a cheap Nvidia / ATI.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 4:20 PM