none
Expand the forum width RRS feed

• Question

• There is currently a large amount of unused whitespace on the left and right margins of the forum pages. One of the bullet points from the initial announcement thread was "Better use of page real-estate", but the exact opposite happened. Please expand the forum to use all (or at least more) of the available screen width, as was seen in the previous design.

EDIT: For a visual example of the width I'd like to see, please click on this link.

EDIT2: Here's a good example for why I think this needs to be done. Scrollbars are available, yes, but that doesn't help when you're at the top of a large code block. I could also just hide the left panel, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:59 AM

All replies

• Mike,

you got my vote. Your example is pretty good but the font needs to be a lot bigger ( especially for the Reply, Propose... )

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Mike,

you got my vote. Your example is pretty good but the font needs to be a lot bigger ( especially for the Reply, Propose... )

I completely agree, the fonts need to be increased and darkened, and the color scheme really needs an overhaul. The example link is only meant to show that it is quite possible for the forums to display full width, not what the final product should look like, since the example link is just the same link you're looking at now, just without a .technet. or .msdn. in the url.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Mike,

that is a good hint. Removing the technet or msdn helps also in the "My Forum Threads" View. Thanks

Hannes

In a perfect world,

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:05 AM
  • To bad, if i remove technet or msdn i won`t see my development forums anymore ;-(

Hannes

In a perfect world,

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:11 AM
  • I am injecting some CSS using a browser extension to widen the post content. It appears there's a ~1000px limit from the product homepages (forums.asp.net shares the same limitation).

The result width from the current CSS is not as wide as the forum view under the microsoft brand as I found out page layout issues with Windows Store forums with 80% width. You can tweak the percentage if a larger post width works in your forums.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:59 PM