workflow creates SYSTEM activities everytime a mail is sent RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a workflow that sends an email everytime an opportunity is created.

The idea was that this email is sent by the author of the opportunity, who also triggers the automatic workflow when saving the newly created opportunity.

i used the author of the opportunity (or so i thought) as a parameter in the "from field" of the message and as the "owner" of the email message.

The mails are sent correctly to the recipients listed but the behaviour I receive is very strange:

1. in the activity list 2 mail activities are created. one, where the author is set to a user called SYSTEM and the second where the author is set to a user called CRM ADMINISTRATOR. the Owner of these activities are the ones who created the opportunity.

2. sometimes, although the "From and Owner fields" in the workflow are both set to the author of the opportunity, when opening the mail itself the  "From" field contains a whole other user. sometimes the administrator, other times someone else.

To make a long story short, all mail activities created automaticly using a workflow has the author set to either SYSTEM or CRM ADMINISTRATOR.

Can anyone make sense out of this behaviour ?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:38 AM

Answers

• The e-mail is created by the system if you have the CRM settings "Track E-mail sent between CRM users as Two Activites" selected under Customization, System Settings.  The system creates the second e-mail for tracking purposes.  If you uncheck the option then two activities will not be created (the system will not create one). 

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, July 12, 2010 2:05 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check if there is some other workflow running on the same and also make sure you have set correct field mappings.

Mahain
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:21 AM
  • If the e-mail is being sent from one CRM user to another CRM user then you will have two e-mails created if you have the option set to track e-mails as two activities in the CRM System settings.  The other e-mail will show as being created by the System.  This is expected behavior.  Hope it helps.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thank you for the reply, this might be helpful.

all users in the email created by the wf  are crm users.  I didn't really understand why the email is created by the system. can you please elaborate ?

many thanks.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:43 AM
  • The e-mail is created by the system if you have the CRM settings "Track E-mail sent between CRM users as Two Activites" selected under Customization, System Settings.  The system creates the second e-mail for tracking purposes.  If you uncheck the option then two activities will not be created (the system will not create one). 

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, July 12, 2010 2:05 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I misunderstood the parameter. I thought it meant two activities were created, one for the "from" user and for the "to" user.

THose system settings (related to mail) are very confusing to me.

i appreciate the time.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:33 AM