Error validating windows vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have an error that says my key is only for upgrades and not for clean installs what can i do about this?

Monday, October 8, 2007 11:10 PM

Answers

• There are 2 ways to install an Upgrade version of Vista.

1) If the previous version of windows is compatable with Vista, (see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx) you can do an In-Place install. Basicly installing Vista over the top of the previous windows. This upgrade path allows you to retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows.

2) If the previous version of windows is Not compatable with Vista but still qualifies for an Upgrade Version of Vista (i.e. Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64 and a few types of XP) you would need to do a Clean Install.

There are 2 types of Clean installs

a) Installing from within the previous version of Windows - this method allows the Upgrade Vista to confirm that the previous Windows qualifies for the Upgrade.

or

b) Installing by booting directly to the Windows Vista DVD - this method Does Not allows the Upgrade Vista to confirm that the previous Windows qualifies for the Upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the error message you are getting ("The Software License Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading and not for clean installations.") it appears that you did the type of Clean Install list under b) when you should have done the one listed under a)

The only way I know to resolve your issue, is to reinstall the Windows that qualifies for vista upgrade and the follow the below steps: 

(below steps copied from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us)

Method 1: Run the Setup program after you start the computer by using the current operating system

1. Start the computer by using the current operating system.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Custom (advanced), and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to install Windows Vista.

You may want to look at post http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2143422&SiteID=25 for additional information.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA

Monday, October 8, 2007 11:48 PM