Information for first CRM on-prem programmable customization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

This is my first programmable customization for CRM 2011 on-prem. My client would like me to be able to add time entries for cases and then in the case show how much time an employee has spent on that case in a custom field so that it can be carried forward to an invoice and at some point down the road show how much billing is happening per employee.

I know that CRM is great for being able to show this type of stuff so I need some guidance.

What I was thinking was that I could get them to use the "service activity" activity to put in the time and notes about the task then somehow auto calculate and update the time spent on the case on the case form.

They want to be at any time able to open the case and see in a custom field "timeSpentOnCase" and be able to show this in dashboards and such.

I assume that I might be able to do this with javascript but I am still in the learning stages and could use some good pointers on how best to approach this issue.

I know that this is a noob question but its my first time doing a programmable customization on CRM and any assistance would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lavigne | Sr. Solutions Architect | Kilobytes Data Solutions Inc.

Monday, February 3, 2014 9:40 PM

All replies

• For something like this JavaScript isn't usually a good idea. You would want the calculation to be performed when the activity is created, updated or deleted. These actions could be performed without actually have the form itself open (the only place the JavaScript would actually run). A better option would be to create plugins the fire on the same events and run on the server to handle the calculations and updates. 

Plug-in Development for Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:55 PM