Reinstalling WHS without losing your Shared Dulpicated Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have been reading the forums about rebuilding the System drive   I my mind, I see how this works if the system drive fails and you wish to rebuild WHS using the same hardware.

My issue is that I plan on installing a new motherboard (different than what I currently own) into my setup.  When I do this, I am almost positive I will need to reinstall WHS on the system drive as the hard ware configuration will change.

I am worried that my shared folders will become lost in this transition.  What steps can I take to avoid losing my duplicated shared folders.  Please note that if a Backup of the files is needed, I need to learn more about WHS Backups because one of my folder is much larger than 1.3TB and last time I checked, WHS Backup would only allow me to backup a folder to an individual hard drive (the backup drives obviously aren't shared like the storage pool).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• When reinstalling on new hardware, make sure that A) you have the system drive connected so that it will be the boot drive on the new hardware, and B) you have storage drivers available for all your drives. If you need drivers for WHS to see any of your drives (i.e. on the hardware discovery screen nothing is shown without storage drivers) then you will need to supply your drivers in the form of one or more "F6 floppies", because you will need them both on the hardware discovery screen and at the beginning of text mode setup.

Assuming all your drives are visible in hardware discovery, you should be given the option of a server reinstallation; this is in addition to new installation. If you don't get the option to reinstall, don't proceed, instead get back to us.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:44 PM
  • sevendustweb said:

Hello:

I have been reading the forums about rebuilding the System drive   I my mind, I see how this works if the system drive fails and you wish to rebuild WHS using the same hardware.

My issue is that I plan on installing a new motherboard (different than what I currently own) into my setup.  When I do this, I am almost positive I will need to reinstall WHS on the system drive as the hard ware configuration will change.

I am worried that my shared folders will become lost in this transition.  What steps can I take to avoid losing my duplicated shared folders.  Please note that if a Backup of the files is needed, I need to learn more about WHS Backups because one of my folder is much larger than 1.3TB and last time I checked, WHS Backup would only allow me to backup a folder to an individual hard drive (the backup drives obviously aren't shared like the storage pool).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

FYI, moving your OEM license from one mobo to another is a violation of the EULA.  MS has the right to not allow you to activate your license again.  (I'm not saying they will, just that they can.)  Having said that, other users have been able to activate it again in your situation.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:42 PM