none
Data Recovery Question and User Share permissions questions RRS feed

• Question

• Please forgive the newbie questions, I was still learning WHS when I suffered a system failure on a new Acer Aspire Easystore H340.  I did of course move all data to it in the short 3 weeks it's been here, including an important in progress project.

I don't believe it is an HDD problem, but I could be mistaken.  The system will be going in for warranty work and I've been told to keep the HDD when I mentioned data loss concerns.  Unfortunately, I had not yet received the 2nd HDD to install it and turn on file duplication when this happened.

So the system is about to head back to Acer, I've already had a 1 TB drive coming, and now I've got an external SATA enclosure coming for the original drive that was in the system to attempt recovery of the data from the original drive.  I've read several threads regarding data recovery and I hope I have a basic understanding.  The system in it's original configuration with only one HDD should mean that all data is on the D drive of that original HDD because there was no data duplication?

There are still a couple of troubleshooting steps to perform once the new HDD and enclosure arrive.  If the system starts with a new HDD installed, then my data recovery options become much different of course.  But since I have none of that equipment in hand, lets assume (and fervently pray please) that the system is down and the HDD is good.  Once I drop it in the external enclosure, connect it to another computer, and pull the data off of it for safekeeping, will I be able to access the shares that are in the individual user logins, or will there be a permissions problem? (please let it not be so)

This is where my newbieness really shines through... if there is a permissions problem, after I receive the repaired system back, drop the original HDD inside, re-install using the OEM non-destructive process, I assume rebuild the user accounts, will I still have a permissions problem?

ps, if anyone knows how to order the Acer Aspire Easystore Debug Board just in case there is ever a future problem so I don't have to run it headless, I would really appreciate knowing that as well.

Thanks in advance,

Driver

(btw, the on-board marvel nic appears to have died first based on the indicator lights, and the system simply won't initialize after a subsequent boot attempt or reset button attempt)

Friday, April 9, 2010 5:11 PM

All replies

• If it's a new OS install, you'd have to redo all your shares and set the permissions correctly.
    Pulling data off the WHS data drives will not have any permissions problems... they are readable to any computer.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 5:54 PM