Microsoft Defender made Windows 7 inoperable. RRS feed

• Question

• I ran Microsoft Security Essential and it found a virus and told me to download another software from Microsoft in order to remove the virus completely. I got forwarded to Windows Defender (Beta). I did a mistake for trying a beta version of Microsoft software. It removed something and left my PC in a state that it never starts. It always goes to Startup Repair and just keeps spinning for around 20 minutes and says could not fix please report to Microsoft. First off Windows 7 is so easily attacked by virus. Next off the tools Microsoft provides harms more then they fix. Very disappointed.

Any suggestions to fix the boot problem? Reloading Windows is an option but then I will have to spend a day reinstalling my dev environment.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:44 PM

Answers

• "SunilSodah" wrote in message news:900abe76-a9bf-4400-8224-3d579a9191c1...
    I ran Microsoft Security Essential and it found a virus and told me to download another software from Microsoft in order to remove the virus completely. I got forwarded to Windows Defender (Beta). I did a mistake for trying a beta version of Microsoft software. It removed something and left my PC in a state that it never starts. It always goes to Startup Repair and just keeps spinning for around 20 minutes and says could not fix please report to Microsoft. First off Windows 7 is so easily attacked by virus. Next off the tools Microsoft provides harms more then they fix. Very disappointed.

Any suggestions to fix the boot problem? Reloading Windows is an option but then I will have to spend a day reinstalling my dev environment.

This sounds very much as if you’ve been infested by a rogue antivirus.
    Unfortunately, this is not the forum for attempting to fix such things.
    However, as a first step.....
    see if you can boot to Safe Mode with Networking
    If so, download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ( www.malwarebytes.org), then update it and run a Full System Scan – but do NOT enable the Real -Time Protection offer.
    Delete Everything it finds.

The reboot to normal mode and see if it’s helped.

Either way you should repost your problem in a more appropriate forum such as the Windows Answers System Repair forum here...

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:49 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows 7 Repair and Recovery Forum.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:54 PM

All replies

• "SunilSodah" wrote in message news:900abe76-a9bf-4400-8224-3d579a9191c1...
    I ran Microsoft Security Essential and it found a virus and told me to download another software from Microsoft in order to remove the virus completely. I got forwarded to Windows Defender (Beta). I did a mistake for trying a beta version of Microsoft software. It removed something and left my PC in a state that it never starts. It always goes to Startup Repair and just keeps spinning for around 20 minutes and says could not fix please report to Microsoft. First off Windows 7 is so easily attacked by virus. Next off the tools Microsoft provides harms more then they fix. Very disappointed.

This sounds very much as if you’ve been infested by a rogue antivirus.
    Unfortunately, this is not the forum for attempting to fix such things.
    However, as a first step.....
    see if you can boot to Safe Mode with Networking
    If so, download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ( www.malwarebytes.org), then update it and run a Full System Scan – but do NOT enable the Real -Time Protection offer.
    Delete Everything it finds.

The reboot to normal mode and see if it’s helped.

Either way you should repost your problem in a more appropriate forum such as the Windows Answers System Repair forum here...

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows 7 Repair and Recovery Forum.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:54 PM