The SQL Server {0} is unavailable install error RRS feed

• Question

• I try to install CRM 4.0 on Windows 2008 Standard x86 with MS SQL Server 2008 Standard running on another host under Windows Server 2008 Standard x86.

On install MS CRM 4.0 gives "The SQL Server {0} is unavailable" error.

I have more descriptive error ID 17204 in Events on MSSQL host saying (I replaced sensitive info with brackets):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSSQLSERVER
    Event ID:      17204
    Task Category: Server
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          <MYDOMAIN>\Administrator
    Computer:      <FQDN>
    Description:
    FCB::Open failed: Could not open file D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\<MYOUNAME>_MSCRM.mdf for file number 0.  OS error: 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

MS SQL service (MSSQLSERVER) runs under NT AUTHORITY/Network Service account and I installing CRM under domain admin acount. SQL Server has been setup that it keeps data on D drives and the rest on C drive.

I have references to possible workarounds:

1. Error 17204 http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=SQL%20Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22&EvtID=17204&EvtSrc=MSSQLSERVER&FileVer=10.0.1600.22&FileName=&EvtType=&LCID=1033

2. Previos forum post on The SQL Server {0} is unavailable" error. http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/crm/thread/1a325642-ea4f-47ad-9511-a711590d80c9

(1) - I do not see what I should fix there, seems ok for me, (2) - suggested debug tool, crmdiagtool4, crashes with a run-time error, from what I understood it useful only when CRM has been installed, obviously it is not my case.

Any guidance, please?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Maxi,

Please try the following. It used to resolve the issue in MS CRM 3.0. 

First please verify that the that SQL Server Agent (SQLSERVERAGENT) was running on the server. 

If that does not resolve the issue of it is already running try the steps below. 

1- Use administrative credentials to log on to the computer that is running    Microsoft SQL Server.
    2- Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Network Connections, right-click     the network connection that is being used for Microsoft CRM, and then click    Properties.
    3- On the General tab, verify that the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft    Networks check box is selected, and then click OK.
    4- On the server where you are trying to install Microsoft CRM, click Back, and    then click Next to rerun the Environment Diagnostics Wizard.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Hassan Hussain Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by maxifox Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:21 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Maxi,

Please try the following. It used to resolve the issue in MS CRM 3.0. 

First please verify that the that SQL Server Agent (SQLSERVERAGENT) was running on the server. 

If that does not resolve the issue of it is already running try the steps below. 

1- Use administrative credentials to log on to the computer that is running    Microsoft SQL Server.
    2- Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Network Connections, right-click     the network connection that is being used for Microsoft CRM, and then click    Properties.
    3- On the General tab, verify that the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft    Networks check box is selected, and then click OK.
    4- On the server where you are trying to install Microsoft CRM, click Back, and    then click Next to rerun the Environment Diagnostics Wizard.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Hassan Hussain Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by maxifox Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:21 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:58 AM
  • SQL Server Agent (SQLSERVERAGENT) is running on the server.

I went to Connections, File and Printer Sharing protocol is enabled. However, File Sharing service was off in Sharing and Network Center. I turned it on and rerun CRM Environment Diagnostics wizard.

Got "Service msftesql not found on host <SQLServerHost>". Obviously, I did not check (this time) for updates at the beginning of the wizard. The error is well known for SQL 2008 and is referenced at CRM Rollup 4 Update, which you get with the latest updates for the wizard.

After I got updates online and rerun again, the wizard finished without errors. CRM has been installed.

Thanks a lot, Hassan.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:21 AM