none
Anti-virus for Windows Home Server 2011 ??

Question

• Hello there, does anyone know if there is a working antivirus for the new homeserver , or if a company is working on it?

Best greetings from Friesland, Netherlands

Pieter

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:49 AM

Answers

• There are rumors that Avast! is working on something, and I believe ESET officially supports their NOD32 product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:42 AM

All replies

• There are rumors that Avast! is working on something, and I believe ESET officially supports their NOD32 product.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:42 AM
  • Ok thanks Ken

Grz. Pieter

Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Just curious then, this is as an alternative to Microsoft Defender?  It looks like that automatically starts up and is running on an install?

Thank you,

EDIT-Ooops, just see there are other threads on this.  disregard.  Sorry.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I have been looking around for an inexpensive AV product for the WHS, I have used CLAMAV in the past. ClamAV is not an active protection AV product but does install and work on WHS 1.0 - I have not tried installing it on WHS2011, but don't see why it won't work...

IMO, i do not understand why Microsoft will not allow their own Security Essentials to be installed on WHS or any of their other Server products. I guess they are scared of being a monoply mogal...

Angelo => Chief Rocket Scientist
    Monday, July 04, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Try this:

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 04, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I have been looking around for an inexpensive AV product for the WHS, I have used CLAMAV in the past. ClamAV is not an active protection AV product but does install and work on WHS 1.0 - I have not tried installing it on WHS2011, but don't see why it won't work...

IMO, i do not understand why Microsoft will not allow their own Security Essentials to be installed on WHS or any of their other Server products. I guess they are scared of being a monoply mogal...

Angelo => Chief Rocket Scientist

ClamAV works the same way on WHS 2011.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Monday, July 04, 2011 7:11 PM
  • The trouble with ClamWin is that it does not have a real time scanner. From ClamWin:

"Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 04, 2011 7:49 PM
  • The trouble with ClamWin is that it does not have a real time scanner. From ClamWin:

"Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

True.
    But it's kinda "better than nothing"-solution...

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:35 AM
  • When will Microsoft Security Essentials be available? I think it's a bit weird that MS doesn't release a proper integrated antivirus for WHS 2011. I would very much like a add-in for MSE.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:36 AM
  • I use Vipre Antivirus which officially supports WHS 2011 according to their customer support; and their licensing can cover all PCs at home at a reasonable price.
    Then they need to update their web site/marketing literature. Also, I see that they promise scanning of 64 bit processes at some point in the future; that's potentially a problem, since Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64 bit OS, with little in the way of 32 bit processes. But still useful information. :)
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I've used Rising Antivirus (free) on my 2008 R2 server. http://www.freerav.com/ I believe it has a real-time scanner. Good luck.
    • Proposed as answer by garabaldi15 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:38 PM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:34 AM
  • I picked up a copy of kaspersky small business ( 1 server + 5 pc clients ) for £25.00 at my local computer fair .. works great :-)
    running on WHS2011
    • Proposed as answer by Kanebrake Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:20 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:55 AM
  • I have been an AVG reseller for many years now.  I just installed WHS 2011 for a client and installed the Business version of AVG on it.  Since it is based on Server 2008 R2, it installed easily and has a realtime scanner. 

I will be monitoring it and will keep the forum updated as to how well it works...

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Works on != supported on.

Vipre tech support says they're "testing", but it's not officially supported yet. I don't know if Kaspersky or AVG supports their products on Windows Home Server 2011.

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:21 PM
  • I couln't get ESET to work.  However VIPRE did work.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I've got Forefront Client Security (Technet) running on my test box with WHS 2011.

Install instructions are here.  I recommend reading all posts before proceeding.

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/what-antivirus-whs2011

If you have a TechNet subscription, you might want to download and test. To get the updates and virus definitions, you need to activate Microsoft Update in Windows Update. It's been running on my test box since June 2 with no ill effects.   I have also been testing Drivebender on this test box and they are working well together.

Caveat:  I do not recommend this on real world production boxes at this time.  I've had no problems on my test box, but you never know what may happen in the future.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Works on != supported on.

Vipre tech support says they're "testing", but it's not officially supported yet. I don't know if Kaspersky*or* AVG supports their products on Windows Home Server 2011.

BullDawg
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Frankly, Bulldawg, Forefront Endpoint Protection (not Client Security) is more likely to be supported on Windows Home Server than Microsoft Security Essentials. After all, Windows Home Server is pretty much just Windows Server 2008 R2 now, and that OS is fully supported. :)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:03 PM
  • If all the clients are running realtime/ 'on access' scans is it really important for the server to do so too? To me it seems a bit redundant for the server to scan a file and then have the client rescan it again.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:53 PM
  • If you are downloading metadata such as from MyMovies, using  utorrent, or

a VPN hub on your server then yes, you need A/V. Aside from that, any connected system

is at risk and no antivirus is 100% effective. New viruses are introduced

every day before scanner definitions can be updated. By the same token

not all A/V programs are created equal. Think of it as insurance.

(Just a few of the many circumstances)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Does the Forefront Endpoint Protection client have a 120 day evaluation period? I'm wondering if the 120 day limit is only on the server/management software.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Answering my own question... I guess it does expire. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh184052.aspx

• Edited by Dale Start Friday, October 07, 2011 6:31 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:31 PM
  • If you have a TechNet subscription, and if you use FEP for testing purposes, the download is fully functional, not evaluation, and does not expire.   I tested it for about a month on my WHS test box along with Drive Bender Drive Pooling and experienced no problems with FEP. 

Remember, TechNet subscriptions are for testing only.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Answering my own question... I guess it does expire. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh184052.aspx

BullDawg
    Friday, October 07, 2011 10:52 PM
  • I had a license for Avast on WHS Version 1

Same version 4.8 installed works fine after I upgraded to WHS 2011. It has on access support.

My existing license still works with same expiration date.

Cheers,

Joe

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Anybody using G Data IS for HomeServer 2011? It includes 5 client licenses and Android licenses.

http://www.gdatasoftware.co.uk/online-shop/anti-virus-produkte/shop/23-private-user/1741-g-data-is-for-homeserver.html

Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Ken, you told me there was no AV for WHS 2011. But in July above you state Vipre is available. I do not see this on their website.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Ken, you told me there was no AV for WHS 2011. But in July above you state Vipre is available. I do not see this on their website.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Vipre never officially claimed to support WHS 2011 (Server 2008 R2 was supported), but some users claimed that it worked to some extent on WHS!

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Phil, please see quoute in above thread - I use Vipre Antivirus which officially supports WHS 2011 according to their customer support; and their licensing can cover all PCs at home at a reasonable price.

Someone was claiming it was SUPPORTED!

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Then you need to find out who Ken was quoting! What Ken actually said was:

"Then they need to update their web site/marketing literature. Also, I see that they promise scanning of 64 bit processes at some point in the future; that's potentially a problem, since Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64 bit OS, with little in the way of 32 bit processes. But still useful information. :)"

There is a difference between someone saying that "Customer Support says" and a formal statement from the Company (which as far as I am aware they never have)!

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:28 PM
  • Using software made in China does not seem like a good idea. That country does not seem to abide by international laws especially when it comes to piracy. The bottom line is, can China be trusted?
    • Edited by Junior1929 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Also, it doesn't say it's supported.

By the way the thread markeed as an answer is not the answer. Phil's reply below it is.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:29 PM
  • I've tried MSSE, AVG 2011 and Comodo with no joy from any of them. One of my colleagues says he's got Comodo working on his WHS2011 box but I have no idea how as I keep getting the "OS not supported" message.

It's a bit shortsighted of Microsoft to release a new server product with no support for anti-virus software, don't they pay people thousands of dollars a year to check things like this?

I'm going to give Rising AV a try...

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:35 PM
  • WHS2011 contains Windows Defender turned on by default. It scans incoming programs for known malware threats and can be set up to scan the harddrive for the same malware signatures. It is an old-school antivirus program (meaning it only scans for signatures) and does not contain the advanced features and malware behavior detection techniques that are typical of commercial security software today.

I wonder if Windows Defender is "good enough' for the server? I would say "No" based on some of the threats out there. Take a look at this month's MS12-020 vulnerability (remote desktop protocol can be broken prior to authentication; if your WHS2011 is remote web enabled you had better have the MS12-020 auto update installed or you are already infected).

That being said, there are no advertised WHS2011 security software products available in the USA. G Data Internet Security for Home Server is sold internationally, is available in the UK, but so far has not gotten good reviews (frankly it sounds like alpha- or beta- development for the Dashboard).

• Edited by Geo Perkins Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:31 PM spelling
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:30 PM
  • George, as long as you're using the functionality in the Remote Access web site, you should be protected from that particular vulnerability. The Remote Access web site includes the ability to set up an RDP connection to your server (the Dashboard is an RDP connection) via an SSL proxy, which, as I understand the issue, is not vulnerable to this particular attack vector.

If, however, you've opened up port 3389 to the world (standard RDP), your server could have been compromised. Doing this is not supported or recommended, so if someone has done so, they did it at their own risk. Note also that there are other known vulnerabilities in RDP, including "man in the middle" attacks which can compromise credentials (i.e. it's possible to extract the administrator's password during the logon handshake). 

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I use the anti virus program by pc tools. I found it on a share ware disk. It appears to work ok.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:45 PM
  • At first I thought Symantec would come through for us, but then officially, "no."

See: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-right-product-windows-home-server-2011-network-consisting-server-and-several-home-office

As of April 2012 no vendor has a WHS2011 product that is truly a Dashboard Add-In product. This thread has examples of antivirus scanners that "work" on WHS2011, but an integrated solution with central management for the WHS2011 clients? Nope. Kind of sad, really.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:45 PM
  • I don't know of any AV software with real-time scanning which works with WHS 2011, but you can manually scan for virus with Microsoft safety scanner ( http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx ).  You can use this as a temp fix until you find something.  I use this and have found viruses which the scanner actually removed to my surprise.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Actually, if you follow my Symantec thread posted on April 19, it was subsequently updated and YES in fact Symantec Endpoint Protection .Cloud (SEP.Cloud) does realtime malware scanning and works fine on Windows Home Server 2011. SEP.Cloud isn't "officially" supported as Windows Home Server 2011, but is supported as Windows Server 2008 R2 by Symantec. It doesn't have an integrated home server Dashboard Plug-In, but can be installed and managed using Remote Desktop. The cost is reasonable and comparable with other single-client products, about $34. This is a good fit since most other "business" antimalware product suites require multi-client (5 or 10) minimums. With SEP.Cloud you can buy just 1!

Here is my Symantec community forum discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-right-product-windows-home-server-2011-network-consisting-server-and-several-home-office

If you want to help urge Symantec to address the need for "official" support of Windows Home Server customers, please vote for my "idea" to enhance their Norton and/or Endpoint Protection product lines:  http://www.symantec.com/connect/ideas/certify-symantec-endpoint-protection-cloud-or-norton-product-windows-home-server-2011

Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by George Perkins Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:59 PM
  •  I am using Vipre Antivirus 2012 on my Windows Home Server 2011 installation. I tried several other solutions and none worked at all. The Vipre has been working well, it is very low in resource use. It works with very little administration. It scans the backup data from the clients on network. It actually found two different trojans hiding in a backup of a machine that had been recently infected. It neutralized them quite handily, I then went and cleaned the affected machine. I felt that this was really top notch performance, as the host machines antivirus did not detect that the trojans were still present. If you will download the trial, and be patient, they will send you a coupon for money off. If you use this it will lower the price to $29.95 and that is a ten dollar savings off the normal price. As of this posting, Vyper has been working for four months with no errors, no log entries, has found four total infectors, and I have had to open the control panel for the sofware thrice. Once to apply the licence key and twice to eradicate malware. I reccomend it as the best solution I have found so far. I have found that some web links to antivirus software are fake and so for the record, the address is www.vipreantivirus.com and please note the Vipre is spelled uniquely.
    Sunday, July 01, 2012 3:17 AM
  • I've been reading through this thread and seems like Vipre and Symantec Endpoint are the best options as of right now (niether "officially" supported, but both seem to work).

Question is, which is the best one to choose? Opinions? Someone tried both?

Looking at Vipre, I like that it's only a 28MB install, and a few bucks less than Symantec...What I don't like is ... "who's Vipre?" Never heard of them before.

Symantec on the other hand, very well known and reputable, however the install file for endpoint is over 700MB!!! Am I installing a new OS over WHS 2011 or is it really JUST antivirus (albeit in a massive file?).

Looking for opinions/experiences from people that have tried both (if there are any out there?).

Thanks!

• Edited by mcdonsco Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I use AVG File Server Edition 2012 on my WHS 2011 box as well my 2008 R2 box. I believe AVG state the File Server Edition is supported for 2008 R2 but I don't believe there is any no mention of WHS 2011 officially. However due the codebase of WHS 2011 being based off 2008 R2 I took a chance, and it has worked great since it was first installed nearly a year ago.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:08 PM
  • I've been using GData for several months now, but apparently I'm one of the very few who have it up and running successfully. I posted my experience here.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

I have just started my way into the WHS 2011. After some searching for free virus protection, i have picked the Bitdefender solution http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements

I might upgrade and pay for a better solution when I know what I want or need.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Thanks Gordon. Let me know how it works. I may try it too!

James A+, Network+, MCP

Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hello,

I have just started my way into the WHS 2011. After some searching for free virus protection, i have picked the Bitdefender solution http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html#System Requirements

I might upgrade and pay for a better solution when I know what I want or need.

Note that this is supported on WHS1 not WHS2011.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:52 PM