scheduled backups won't run with new win 7 64 bit install...how to fix RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new system build running windows 7 64 bit.  I installed the WHS connector from the software shared folder on the WHS.  The WHS software is up to date.  All seems well. i can see the win 7 PC from the WHS system; i can see the WHS from the win 7 PC.  i can access shared folders from the PC and i can initiate a manual back up on the system.  However, the scheduled backups are not happening. I have the system checked to wake from sleep to do the back ups during the night.   When i check it in the morning,  the PC has come out of sleep, the WHS is on, but when i check in the WHS console there is no back up.  i reset the PC so it is not password/admin locked upon waking up from sleep and still no effect

any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the scheduled backs up to start working?

thanks
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:20 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 isn't fully supported in Windows Home Server Power Pack 2. I would recommend trying the beta of Power Pack 3, available through Connect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:36 PM
  • this isn't what msft says:

From the FAQs on WHS site at msft.com:

Which operating systems are supported by Windows Home Server? 

--Windows® 7 operating system (all editions)"

so back to my original question and problem:  I uninstalled the WHS connector and removed the win 7 PC From WHS backups...and then reinstalled everything again.  all went smooth, server and PC see each other over network, i can access shared folders on PC and initiate a manual backup; but both systems still  just sit there and never initiate the automatic daily back up.

any other suggestions or tips recommended to make this work?

thanks

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:48 PM
  • I will recommend (again) installing the beta of Power Pack 3, which includes Windows 7 compatibility and functionality improvements. For example, if a Windows 7 computer is in sleep/hibernation, it may fail to wake up and/or fail to back up if it does wake, without Power Pack 3. See Connect, and the Windows Home Server team blog.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:55 PM
  • has MSFT stated when PP3 comes out of beta and is available as production release?

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:12 AM
  • No. When it's released, it will doubtless be mentioned on the team blog. And you want to bear in mind that if you decide to install the beta, you will have to remove it in order for the release code to install through Windows Update. But if you want the sleep/backup issue corrected now, the way to do it is to install the Power Pack 3 beta.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:16 AM