none
Windows XP Activation RRS feed

• Question

• My copy of XP was on my previous computer.  A power surge fried the mother board and killed the hard drive.  I bought a similar computer (both are HP d530sff) used but purchased a new hard drive.  I put the new hard drive in the used computer and formatted it and did a clean install of Windows xp.  When done I got a message to activate Windows XP.  My question is, I used the last install of XP on the fried computer and hard drive.  I want to activate Windows XP on the new hard drive.  How can I do this?  I have read that if you reinstall XP on a new hard drive it won't and refuses to work beyond 30 days.  How can I get a new product activation code?  I have already purchased Windows 7 for my new laptop and desktop, but this used one I set up for my Mother and she likes to surf the web.  Please advise.  Is there a number I can call?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:14 AM

Answers

• Hello deeceetwo,

Going under the assumption that the Windows XP that was on the fried computer was an OEM license (as it would be if it was the Windows that came with the HP computer), you are not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to move an OEM license from one computer to another.  OEM licenses live and die with the computer onto which they are first installed.

Does the newly purchased used computer have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows on it?  If so, then it's very likely that it is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows that is listed on its CoA.  This is the version and edition of Windows that you want to install on this computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hello deeceetwo,

Going under the assumption that the Windows XP that was on the fried computer was an OEM license (as it would be if it was the Windows that came with the HP computer), you are not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to move an OEM license from one computer to another.  OEM licenses live and die with the computer onto which they are first installed.

Does the newly purchased used computer have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows on it?  If so, then it's very likely that it is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows that is listed on its CoA.  This is the version and edition of Windows that you want to install on this computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:45 AM
  • No, I have two full copies of XP.  It's not an issue now.  I used my new copy of XP to set it up.  I also have a three pack of upgrades to Windows 7 for my Vista notebook.  I only use licensed software.   Thanks for answering.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:24 PM