Firewall & Dshield RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've used Dshield since the 90's. It doesn't keep up well with the yearly changes made by the hundreds of virus firewalls.
    I jumped ship midstream with my other virus program in favor of one care [better program]. I just left Dshield, and couldn't find a client to handle a 1care firewall log.
    I have this link at Dshield on how to write a client. http://www.dshield.org/specs.html. Is it possible there's a Guru here that can create a 1care client for Dshield ?
    I browsed my machine for 1care firewall logs  the other day, and what I did find was binary so I have no idea if I even found the correct logs.

Only reason I mention this is because of Dshield being a remote monitoring system, it can help 1care detect changes that 1care might miss. Runs in the background for moments hourly with a task scheduler event.
    Oh yeah task scheduler would be part of the writing a client for dshield. I couldn't get an event to run with a standard account thru task manager for the older stuff with dshield. UAC, 1care, defender, standard account, so how did I pick up a trojan ? Anyways I'd like to get dshield running again with 1care. All help necessary.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• OneCare does not create firewall logs at a level of detail that would be useful for Dshield. And, as you've found, the logs are not designed for you to access.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Oh well. It would have been nice. Dshield fell behind 2 updates  ago on my old virus software. I'm seeing some unusual responses to my keystrokes, and wondering if  I'm not once again sharing this machine with some trojan ? That's part of the reason for the Dshield request.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:49 PM