e-sata RRS feed

• Question

• Was wondering if anybody new or was using e-sata enclosures with WHS. Found a external e-sata enclosure for under $200.00. supoorts up to 4 3gb sata II's. 750gb drives

Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:20 PM

Answers

• Ken,

I have a setup with eSata and a modified Powervault, which uses port multiplier technology. I have a Sil PCI-e 3132 twin port adapter which drives two five-port multipliers.

WHS has no problems with any of the disks apart from thinking they are SCSI.

Colin

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:18 PM

All replies

•  mikesc380 wrote:

Was wondering if anybody new or was using e-sata enclosures with WHS. Found a external e-sata enclosure for under $200.00. supoorts up to 4 3gb sata II's. 750gb drives

You can't add NAS devices to a WHS storage pool but the e-sata devices should work great.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:33 PM
  •  mikesc380 wrote:

Was wondering if anybody new or was using e-sata enclosures with WHS. Found a external e-sata enclosure for under $200.00. supoorts up to 4 3gb sata II's. 750gb drives

I have 20 HDDs connected to my WHS server via eSATA, works great.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I take with 20 HDD's your using a controller device with what? 5 ports and 5 boxes containing 4 HDD's each? was looking at the  Asus P3-PH5 for the WHS and it only has 1 e-sata port that's why I'm asking.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Question: Are you using port multiplier technology, or multilane? What's your hardware configuration?
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Ken,

I have a setup with eSata and a modified Powervault, which uses port multiplier technology. I have a Sil PCI-e 3132 twin port adapter which drives two five-port multipliers.

WHS has no problems with any of the disks apart from thinking they are SCSI.

Colin

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Sorry, been out for a while.

I'm using a Tyan server motherboard (s5360) which has 5 PCI-X slots. I have 5 Sil 3124 based PCI-X controllers in there which are 4 SATA 2 ports each. The 3124 HBAs are FIS based controllers, and EACH port is port multiplier capable. I'm using Sil 3726 based port multipliers, so I can potentially have ONE HUNDRED drives connected to my WHS. :-)

Right now, I'm only using 4 multipliers on 4 of the ports. Still have 16 empty PM capable ports.

My server setup is such that, the server itself is in a rack mountable 4u enclosure, and the drives themselevs are in separate rack mountable enclosures. Each drive enclosure can hold 15 drives and uses 3 port multipliers. The multipliers connect to the server using e-SATA cables. Very clean and organized cabling.

My drive enclosures use SATA 5 in 3 modules from Icy Dock, which have the SATA backplane, allowing me to hotswap any of the drives.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:32 PM
  • I was hoping that you could answer a couple of questions about using sata port multipliers with WHS. Do all the drives connected to the PM have to be the same, or can you mix drive sizes? Also, do you know if the PM's will pass the drive temperature to the Drive Management Add-in?

Thanks!
    Dan
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:09 AM
  • A port multiplier will make it look like there are several individual drivs connected. It's not the same as a RAID controller, which takes several drives and makes them look like a single drive.

As for S.M.A.R.T. status indicators, I think most port multipliers pass those. You'd have to check with individual manufacturers for more specific information.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:48 PM
  •  Actually, there are two different type of port multipliers and they each differ significantly.  The first type is a software type multiplier were you have to set up the drives as either JBOD or RAID using the manufacturers software, this is usually utilizing a Silicone Image 3726 chipset which controls how the port multiplier operates.  The second type, which I recommend to WHS users is a hardware based port multiplier.  This port multiplier is based on the Silicone Image 4726 Steelvine processor.  The nice thing about hardware port multipliers is once set up they require no intervention on the part of the user or OS.  To set up a hardware PM, you connect all the drives to the 4726 PCB and then connect it to a PM aware/capable internal or external SATA port.  Once connected you again use the proprietary software, or on some models jumpers located on the PM board, to configure your drives as either JBOD or RAID (Ken, don't get mad over the mention of RAID yet).  Once configured you save the settings, these are then stored on the Steelvine processor on the PM board.  Once you reboot your system, the OS either sees 5 sperate drives or one big drive (RAID).  The nice thing about this setup is since the PM manages all the disks through a sperate controller, i.e. the Steelvine processor on the board, the OS has nothing to do with it either through the OS or the hardware.  Another benefit to hardware based PMs is that they can be setup on one machine with a PM aware SATA port, and then will work on any SATA port on any machine.  Case in point, I set up mine on a Vista box, saved the settings, then connected it to my WHS and all WHS knows is that there is available drive(s) to attach to the storage pool.  This functionality is also important if you have a hardware/software failure and have to get the information from the DE shares using a different PC.  If a disk fails when set in RAID mode, the PM disconnects  and rebuilds the RAID, then reastablishes connection once rebuilt, all WHS sees is a disk failure during the time the PM is re-building the array. On last word on Hardware PMs is they can daisy chain easier than software PMs in that you can set each PM up seperatly then connect them together while software PMs can get real confusing real quick when using mulitple PMs.   A word of caution when looking at purchasing PMs, look at what chipset is running the PM and that will tell you if it is a hardware or software PM as vendors do not allways give a very good description, and one more thing a hardware PM will cost double what a software PM will cost.  One last thought on PMs, remember that you are trying to access mulitple disks using 1 cable so even with five disks your transfere rate will only be at max 3 GBs throuput (hence the reason for RAID as it has a better read/write access speed).
    Garen A. Smith
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:14 AM
  • I did my beta testing on a small micro-ATX board in a microFLY case that quickly ran out of drive space. The testing proved to me that the WHS product was a good idea and would fit my needs for a home server to store and share our data. I bought an OEM version of the software and built a system around some existing hardware that I had access to. I figured the 4 IDE ports and the 2 SATA ports would be enough, especially knowing I could add more ports using a PCI-x slot on the board. Well, I have now run out of all those ports when I added the last two 1TB SATA drives. What to do now?

I have thought about just buying another MB that has more SATA ports but that would also require another case because my Antec 900 is already at capacity. I already have 2.5TB on my WHS and the moving option has it's own consequences I am going this other way and expect it should work just fine.

I found an article that used to exist on a HTPC site that now seems to have gone away. Luckily I saved the website that sells the items necessary for my next modication to the WHS box. Addonics makes a mini tower that will hold 4/5 drives with an option for a built in 5x H/W Port Multiplier. This will enable me to add 4/5 more HDD to my pool at a reasonable cost. I have read too many bad things about USB enclosures so I will go this route in the next couple of months.

PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 11:06 PM