Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sony laptop that had an OEM version of Windows Vista.  I was having some of the usual problems with Vista.  It was upgraded by a friend to Windows 7 who is now deployed.  I do not have the product key for either version of Windows.  I am now getting the message that Windows 7 is not genuine with a black screen.

I do not have a problem buying a new copy of Windows 7, but should I buy a full or upgrade version?

Should I do it online or the retail route.  I want to have the hard copy of the software with the keys this time. 

Thanx 

Friday, April 30, 2010 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hello markadillo,

Here's what to do:

1.  Use the recovery solution provided by Sony to recover your computer back to out-of-the-box condition, presumably with Windows Vista.  Your Sony should have a Certificate of Authenticity for Vista on the bottom (or perhaps in the battery compartment).

If the Sony recovery solution was hard disk-based and was wiped out by the upgrade to W7, contact Sony customer service or tech support to purchase replacement recovery discs for you exact model.

While you're at the Sony support site for your model, check to see if they have the needed driver and Sony program updates to support W7.

2.  Install Vista using the recovery solution, then bring it up to date with SP2 and all other updates.

3.  Buy a Windows 7 upgrade at a local retailer.

4.  Run the Upgrade.  Go back to the Sony support site and get the needed files (if any) to support W7.

5.  Run Windows Updates as needed.

6.  You're done.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hello markadillo,

Here's what to do:

1.  Use the recovery solution provided by Sony to recover your computer back to out-of-the-box condition, presumably with Windows Vista.  Your Sony should have a Certificate of Authenticity for Vista on the bottom (or perhaps in the battery compartment).

If the Sony recovery solution was hard disk-based and was wiped out by the upgrade to W7, contact Sony customer service or tech support to purchase replacement recovery discs for you exact model.

While you're at the Sony support site for your model, check to see if they have the needed driver and Sony program updates to support W7.

2.  Install Vista using the recovery solution, then bring it up to date with SP2 and all other updates.

3.  Buy a Windows 7 upgrade at a local retailer.

4.  Run the Upgrade.  Go back to the Sony support site and get the needed files (if any) to support W7.

5.  Run Windows Updates as needed.

6.  You're done.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:03 PM
  • 4.  Run the Upgrade.  Go back to the Sony support site and get the needed files (if any) to support W7.

Be sure to start the Upgrade from within Vista. (i.e. do not start the upgrade by booting directly from the Windows 7 disk).
    Darin MS
    Monday, May 3, 2010 7:14 PM