Problem Fixed on Second PC not Updating on Hub PC RRS feed

• Question

• About 20 minutes or so ago my Icon went red and a balloon message asked me to check this issue on my primary PC which is setup as the Hub in my One Care circle, which happens to consist of 2 PCs in my office sitting next to each other.

So I go to the other PC and note that the complaint is about McAfee Site Advisor being in conflict with One Care and gives me a dire warning about performance and compatibility issues if I do not take the recommended action of uninstalling the McAfee Browser Add-on which was installed into Internet Explorer 7,

I do as asked although I am not pleased by this. I think this message is in error since there is probably no conflict between the two and I like the add-on. I understand that other security software would be redundant and likely to cause issues but this site Advisor simply gives me info about sites I visit and that's it. It doesn't do anything else.

Anyway, the issue at hand is that after doing this over 20 minutes later the icon on the Hub PC remains red in the system tray and One Care on this side does not know I already took care of the problem. I did uninstall the offending program and sure enough, the secondary PC is happy and the One Care icon in the system tray there correspondingly is green.

I would think that within my One Care circle when I fix an issue on one PC, the other PC(s) should get the message immediately and update themselves accordingly. Otherwise, the Red icon remains and is if nothing else, a little annoying.

Is there something on my end, Hub or client side that I can do to force a refresh of shared info? I even rebooted the hub PC and still as of this moment it remains red and completely unaware the other PC no longer has  the former problem.

Any info or advice would be most appreciated. I am doing a trial and so far after thoroughly testing free solutions, McAfee's suite, Norton 360 and now One Care I am leaning strongly towards a One Care subscription. That is why I'd bother posting about various small issues like this as I hope to contribute feedback to further improve what thus far seems to be the best security software on the market now at least for my personal needs.

Thanks for any replies in advance. ;-)

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• You'll want to look at this thread about the Site Advisor conflict - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2779592&SiteID=2

As for the hub not updating after you fixed the issue, I'm suspecting a bug in OneCare. There have been quite a few reports of this problem, specifically following the removal of a conflicting program. I don't have an answer for why this is the case, though. When PCs are on the same LAN, the status is indeed communicated immediately. For some reason, it appears that certain actions are not causing the corrected status to be reflected on the hub PC.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:23 AM
  • The problem with the hub not reflecting the correct status after the conflicting program has been removed from a PC in the Circle is being investigated. See this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2824430&SiteID=2

Note that at this point, 2/22/08, there is no solution, but Mona from Microsoft has acknowledged that they are investigating and working on the problem.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Thank you very much Stephen for your thoughtful replies and the links. I did go read and respond to each one within the relevant thread. I agree with you that at the end of the day, Site Advisor minimally wastes resources and slows browsing. That is reason enough to delete it. People overestimate the actual usefulness of SIte Advisor and I go into that in a reply elsewhere. I wrote a detailed comment on the Site Advisor issue in its now 4 page thread you linked above and my response can be found on page four if you are interested. I also detailed a work around for the failure of One Care to update a hub PC when a conflicting program is removed on a client and get a green icon back. That info is on page one of the post you linked above.

In short I will tell you here that I've come to feel that point of One Care is to not need or waste time and system resources on other superflous apps however it would be good if One Care offered more in depth reasons for disallowing other security apps and also where possible, permit the user to flag one as OK even if it is not ideal so long as it doesn't break anything. Again, if doing so does break something they just need to tell people and sic them on the other vendor to make their program not do that. If it is simply redundant, wastes resources, etc. advise against it but allow it would be good. I think this would make for a better user experience when running into conflicting, redundant or even harmful programs. Detailed communication is the key and choice wherever possible.

As for PCs not communicating with each other, turning both off and then booting the client(s) first until completely done coming up followed by booting the primary (hub) PC seems to workaround the problem for now. It did for me.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:48 AM