How do I exclude Items from my WHS 2011 Libraries? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, I just installed my WHS-2011 and have Web access to it using my Domain from Microsoft. I have only 5 users entered so far and have restricted LAN access to certain users to certain folders. I have seperated my content into Sub folders as XXX Pictures, XXX Videos, XXX Music, my Pictures, my Videos, my Music and I have placed these folders into my WHS Parent folders Pictures, Video, and Music for Server backup.

I have restricted the access to the XXX folders sharing rights on the LAN, but it seems that this restriction is NOT true from the Web Access, all my content is freely accessable to all users.

How do I restrict Web Access to all users and allow certain users access?

When I set up the Libraries I used Media Player and it added all content to the Libraries that it found on my Server, reguardless of LAN Access restrictions.

Thanks for any insight.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil, thanks for responding. Huh, what do you mean "I can't", I should be able to do that, right?

Well, what I did was to take those folders out of the "Homegroup" share permissions and the server took them out of the Libraries as well. The users I have assigned to have access, still have access, even though I have never joined the server to any "Homegroup" as discribed in the "Join a Homegroup" links (the server created a Homegroup, but none of my LAN clients can join it, says there is an error with IPv6 connectivity), I have access to everything by using my user account credentials. So I don't understand what the "Homegroup" is all about.

Thanks again for responding, Phil

• Marked as answer by SmokerKGB Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:48 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:47 AM

All replies

• You can't! Anything folders you share by remote access is available to all Remote Access users as required by the DLNA standard which WHS2011 implements.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi Phil, thanks for responding. Huh, what do you mean "I can't", I should be able to do that, right?

Well, what I did was to take those folders out of the "Homegroup" share permissions and the server took them out of the Libraries as well. The users I have assigned to have access, still have access, even though I have never joined the server to any "Homegroup" as discribed in the "Join a Homegroup" links (the server created a Homegroup, but none of my LAN clients can join it, says there is an error with IPv6 connectivity), I have access to everything by using my user account credentials. So I don't understand what the "Homegroup" is all about.

Thanks again for responding, Phil

• Marked as answer by SmokerKGB Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:48 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:47 AM