Server backup with "planned frustration" ;) RRS feed

• Question

• Server backup with "planned -or better scheduled-  frustration" Wink

PP1

German v6.0.171.3

Test: I want to start another Server-Backup, "on the fly"

My special Testdrive is registered within the console "Server-Speicher" after the Topic "Serversicherungsfestplatten" with the capacity 232,9GB and at this time 47% free ( = about 109,5GB)

Net Step, I go to Tab "Computer und Sicherung" and choose the Server-Entry. The Server-Entry already did run a backup, I take the same choosen content and additional +>100GB to exceed the free limit of the Backup-Destination.

Ok, After starting the backup, WHS is sanning all entries for backup.

Note: At this point WHS known allready about the amount which must fit onto the drive.

In my szenario the 256,79GB backupvolume… far too much for the only backup drive which is activated for finishing in one step, without interruption and easy for use Wink let's say user friendly

Imagine… you have a big bunch to backup, you push the start-button and you go away from the system (e.g. to sleep). Some hours later you want to check the sucessfull backup ;(… far way off,  indeed you did forget to add another drive. Frustrated?

Testresult: The backup-drive shows 0% free capacity. The Backup-Job is marked red with "last backup incomplete". The last incomplete backup-set is NOT visible to check the status. Even you do not see the amount (and content) which was copied with success before the space got empty.... ouch...

Request:

If a user starts a backup-job the first automated check from WHS should be comparing the left free space from the backup-drive with the user's selection.

If the selected backup-volume will not fit,  there must be an information about the problem. In this case the backup-process should not be started without a user activity to decrease the selection, "make it compatible".

In any event, the user must wait for the scan, so the "real start-button" for starting the server-backup-job must be placed after the "comparing scan".

If a backup-set failes there should be clickable information about the error, Thus it is a 1:1 copy. If you are in a hurry, there is no need to copy all datas again. The possebility to look up which shares are incomplete should be a standard. Well, for a "WHS like usercomfort2 add the function "copy again" all incomplete or not copied shares.

Reported: 353247, parts of this message are rewritten / expanded

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:01 PM

Answers

• You can file a suggestion in Microsoft Connect.  Post the link here for others to vote on it.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:28 PM

All replies

• You can file a suggestion in Microsoft Connect.  Post the link here for others to vote on it.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Friday, June 27, 2008 4:57 AM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

You can file a suggestion in Microsoft Connect.  Post the link here for others to vote on it.

Hi Joel,

besides the usercomfort and the MS-Wish to "vote" there is a bug in it.

As I described, the incomplete backupset is not visible (and free space of the drive =0%), therefore you are not able to delete the incomplete backupset... and free some space of the drive. I guess the only way ro get out of this is to delete the _complete_ drive. ;(

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:09 PM