locked
Public IM Connectivity with MSN RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    I have recently setup Public IM connectivity.  I'm able to successfuly IM with AOL and Yahoo contacts.  I cannot communicate with MSN contacts, communicator lists them as Presense unknown.

     

    Please Help.

    Friday, January 11, 2008 8:54 PM

Answers

  • Problem resolved.  It wasn't a problem with my configuration.  I contacted Microsoft and opened a case.  It took a long time (maybe 2 or 3 weeks), but I eventualy got an email response that the problem was resolved.  I tried and confirmed that MSN connectivity had started working. 

     

    When I originaly purchased the PIC licenses, I incorrectly defined the FQDN for my edge interface.  I was unable to correct this through the open volume web site (https://licensing.microsoft.com) so I made a call to Microsoft and they corrected the problem but it took a few weeks.  About a month after the FQDN issue was resolved, I still didn't have MSN connectivity.  That's when I contacted them the second time.  Maybe my original FQDN problem was the cause for all the delay, I don't know.  But the bottom line is that other than the original problem with the FQDN, I just had to wait for Microsoft to enable the PIC service for me.

     

    Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:45 PM

All replies

  • When you first establish PIC, due to the nature of each service being a seperate entity, there is no guarantee that each service will begin to work at the same time.  Most likely MSN has not yet configured your environment on their end, while Yahoo and AOL have both completed the configuration.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:21 PM
    Moderator
  • It's only been a day or two.  What would be an acceptable period of time to wait for MSN connectivity?

     

    Monday, January 14, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Officially it's 30 days.  However, the typical turnaround times based on my experience are:

     

    AOL: 1-3 days

    Yahoo: 4-6 days

    MSN: 7-14 days

     

    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:12 PM
    Moderator
  • Still no connectivity.  I see this is the event log:

     

    A significant number of connection failures have occurred with remote server federation.messenger.msn.com IP 65.54.227.249. There have been 789 failures in the last 10881 minutes. There have been a total of 1379 failures.
    The specific failure types and their counts are identified below.
    Instance count - Failure Type
    1379 80072746

    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

    Hello Dominic,

     

    DId you ever get the connection failures resolved?  If so, what was your solution?

     

    We federate with public IM AOL, MSN, & Yahoo as well.  Our external IM works however sessions will drop and the errors I receive ont he edge are similar to that which you listed.  Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!  Mike

     

    Here's a sample from my Edge Server Logs:

     

     

    Federated partner federation.messenger.msn.com has sent a significant number of messages that have resulted in domain validation failures. There have been 8 such failures in the last 303 minutes.There have been 883 errors in total. This can happen when messages are sent to local users that don't exist, messages are sent from domains that the partner isn't allowed to send from, or when the partner sends messages destined to domains that this organization isn't responsible for.

     

     

    A significant number of connection failures have occurred with remote server federation.messenger.msn.com IP 65.54.227.249. There have been 1372 failures in the last 180 minutes. There have been a total of 172993 failures.
    The specific failure types and their counts are identified below.
    Instance count - Failure Type
    172883 80072746
    50 80072743
    59 8007274C
    This can be due to credential issues , DNS , firewalls or proxies. The specific failure types above should identify the problem.

     

    Federated partner sip.oscar.aol.com has sent a significant number of messages that have resulted in domain validation failures. There have been 4 such failures in the last 30 minutes.There have been 2798 errors in total. This can happen when messages are sent to local users that don't exist, messages are sent from domains that the partner isn't allowed to send from, or when the partner sends messages destined to domains that this organization isn't responsible for.

    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Problem resolved.  It wasn't a problem with my configuration.  I contacted Microsoft and opened a case.  It took a long time (maybe 2 or 3 weeks), but I eventualy got an email response that the problem was resolved.  I tried and confirmed that MSN connectivity had started working. 

     

    When I originaly purchased the PIC licenses, I incorrectly defined the FQDN for my edge interface.  I was unable to correct this through the open volume web site (https://licensing.microsoft.com) so I made a call to Microsoft and they corrected the problem but it took a few weeks.  About a month after the FQDN issue was resolved, I still didn't have MSN connectivity.  That's when I contacted them the second time.  Maybe my original FQDN problem was the cause for all the delay, I don't know.  But the bottom line is that other than the original problem with the FQDN, I just had to wait for Microsoft to enable the PIC service for me.

     

    Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:45 PM