none
Did We Lose the Ability to Directly Upload Images? RRS feed

• Question

• Not long ago, if I wanted to do a small screen grab to illustrate a concept or show someone what I'm seeing on-screen, I used to be able to press the "Insert Image" button and upload an image (e.g., JPEG or PNG) to be shown inline with the post.  It was very convenient.

Now if I press what appears to be the proper button, all I'm presented with is a dialog that asks me where, on the net, the image I want to show already is.  Unless I am exhibiting a distinct lack of sufficient coffee and I'm not seeing something obvious, the ability to upload an image isn't there any longer.

Was this functionality removed on purpose, or am I just missing something?

That seems like a pretty fundamental change and quite frankly it reduces my ability to easily answer people and show them things like dialogs with buttons highlighted, etc.

Thanks.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:27 PM

Answers

• Augh, never mind.  It seems that a plus sign and the word Update have been put to task in the dialog to facilitate image uploads.

Now we have to click this

I was right, not enough coffee.

Even though there aren't all THAT many different things in that dialog, you have to admit it's not exactly obvious that "+ Update" means "Choose Image to Upload".  I took + to mean that something could be expanded, which is what finally led me to the discovery that it really must be intended to mean "ADD file".  Unfortunately, + comes with baggage, and you really shouldn't be using it that way.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:33 PM
    • Edited by Noel Carboni Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:36 PM Added note about +
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:32 PM

All replies

• Augh, never mind.  It seems that a plus sign and the word Update have been put to task in the dialog to facilitate image uploads.

Now we have to click this

I was right, not enough coffee.

Even though there aren't all THAT many different things in that dialog, you have to admit it's not exactly obvious that "+ Update" means "Choose Image to Upload".  I took + to mean that something could be expanded, which is what finally led me to the discovery that it really must be intended to mean "ADD file".  Unfortunately, + comes with baggage, and you really shouldn't be using it that way.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:33 PM
    • Edited by Noel Carboni Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:36 PM Added note about +
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:32 PM
  • This is a regression; this button’s caption was “Upload” before. We just filed a bug in our system to track this issue. Thanks for reporting it.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:15 AM
  • This is a regression; this button’s caption was “Upload” before. We just filed a bug in our system to track this issue. Thanks for reporting it.

And to the point of not being intuitive.. I'm down at the bottom trying to click on INSERT to select an image -- which IS intuitive in my perspective -- and getting absolutely nowhere.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:56 AM
  • By the way, this was just fixed in our last release. The Upload button is back. :-)

Community Forums QA

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Confirmed with IE9.  Thank you!

-Noel

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:19 AM