[[Fixed]] Missing storage space?? RRS feed

• Question

• ----!! EDIT !!---

After writing all of that ____ below, I had a closer look at the drive details and noticed "shadow copies" on D:\ using over 20Gb.

DOH!

I'm guessing that's what it is.

Feel free to abuse me in any posts.

I switched off shadow copies and 20odd GB of space reappeared.

I can live without the added security. I have a local copy, a server copy, and a remote copy (Wuala)
    A shadow copy losing me the storage is unnecessary until I get some big disks added.

---!! EDIT!!---

My disk is 320G which formats to about 300GB
    The installation made a 20GB partition for the OS leaving 280GB for storage.

I copied 35G of MP3's to the Music folder on the server
    I then copied 1G of photos the the photos folder
    I have a separate folder called downloads which contains 29G

(I have duplication switched off on all folders)

This gives a total of 65GB used (give or take a few hundred Meg)

So, 280 minus 65 equals 215.

My computer in the console only shows 192GB as does the server storage tab.

There seems to be 23GB "missing"

I am not doing any system backups of my client machine, I'm just copying over my music and photos for remote access and safety.

When I copied over all of the MP3's and Pics yesterday the drive went crazy for a few hours, but now it has settled down. I emptied the trash, defragged, rebooted etc, but I still can't work out what's happened.

Looking at the details of the storage tab it says total size 298GB Free space 192GB.

The details next to the pie chars state
    Shared folders 37GB
    PC Backups 45KB (not GB of course)
    System 69 GB  ???
    Free Space 192GB

I can't understand why it says 69GB for system?

I'm very confused.
    I think it maybe something to do with the download folder I created?
    Some of the data is random stuff I copied over manually, but the majority is torrent downloads.
    I tried in vain to install uTorrent as a service. It worked fine from the remote desktop, but not via WebGUI, so I just installed it as a normal program which I put in the startup folder so it would always start automatically. I used it either via WebGUI or remote desktop.

It has been working fine but yesterday when my client PC was out of commission, I plugged in a monitor and keyboard logged in on the server to access the web. I also added some torrents and thought nothing more of it until I logged in this morning (back via client PC using remote desktop) and uTorrent was showing a red warning and saying to change the listening port. As soon as I did this it reconnected again. I now remember that I had to do this yesterday when I was using it directly on the server.
    When I looked at the uTorrent log there were 2 warnings saying something about only using one listening port at a time.

I may be totally barking up the wrong tree, but is it possible that I had 2 instances of uTorrent going? Has this maybe caused some kind of duplication of data?
    I [i]now [/i]know (after hours of reading) that using programs from the desktop is not supported, and I'm wondering if this is maybe an example of why.

I have had a check with Dupecleaner and all it found were a couple of dupe .jpg files.

So to conclude (at last!) Have I borked my storage with my torrent fiddling, is it a different problem, is it something to do with the Drive Extender that I don't quite understand.
    Or can I just not count?

If you've read this far, then well done ;-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Edited by beeboy Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:54 PM
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• beeboy said:

No, not the registry, just through the disk management snap in.
    Sould I do it via the registry? If so, any tips how to do so?
    Thanks.

Then you probably didn't disable the Shadows.  (Most likely you just deleted the Shadows that were already there, but they will continue to run every 12 hours).  No doubt it already showed Shadow Copies as disabled, right?  The Shadow Copies on WHS are not controlled by Server 2003, but by QSM (the Storage Manager).  In order to disable it, you need to open the reigistry and make a modification. (NOTE:  If you aren't familiar with editing the registry, don't attempt this as making a mistake can really mess up your server!)

The registry path  is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  From there you will see multiple volumes.  You want to find the one that has a key called MountPoint and has a value of D:\.  Once you find that one, it should have another key called SnapPeriod with a value of 0x02932e00 (43200000).  That is the how often Shadow Copies run in milliseconds.  Change the value of that key to 0.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

• beeboy said:

----!! EDIT !!---

After writing all of that ____ below, I had a closer look at the drive details and noticed "shadow copies" on D:\ using over 20Gb.

DOH!

I'm guessing that's what it is.

Feel free to abuse me in any posts.

I switched off shadow copies and 20odd GB of space reappeared.

I can live without the added security. I have a local copy, a server copy, and a remote copy (Wuala)
    A shadow copy losing me the storage is unnecessary until I get some big disks added.

---!! EDIT!!---

My disk is 320G which formats to about 300GB
    The installation made a 20GB partition for the OS leaving 280GB for storage.

I copied 35G of MP3's to the Music folder on the server
    I then copied 1G of photos the the photos folder
    I have a separate folder called downloads which contains 29G

(I have duplication switched off on all folders)

This gives a total of 65GB used (give or take a few hundred Meg)

So, 280 minus 65 equals 215.

My computer in the console only shows 192GB as does the server storage tab.

There seems to be 23GB "missing"

I am not doing any system backups of my client machine, I'm just copying over my music and photos for remote access and safety.

When I copied over all of the MP3's and Pics yesterday the drive went crazy for a few hours, but now it has settled down. I emptied the trash, defragged, rebooted etc, but I still can't work out what's happened.

Looking at the details of the storage tab it says total size 298GB Free space 192GB.

The details next to the pie chars state
    Shared folders 37GB
    PC Backups 45KB (not GB of course)
    System 69 GB  ???
    Free Space 192GB

I can't understand why it says 69GB for system?

I'm very confused.
    I think it maybe something to do with the download folder I created?
    Some of the data is random stuff I copied over manually, but the majority is torrent downloads.
    I tried in vain to install uTorrent as a service. It worked fine from the remote desktop, but not via WebGUI, so I just installed it as a normal program which I put in the startup folder so it would always start automatically. I used it either via WebGUI or remote desktop.

It has been working fine but yesterday when my client PC was out of commission, I plugged in a monitor and keyboard logged in on the server to access the web. I also added some torrents and thought nothing more of it until I logged in this morning (back via client PC using remote desktop) and uTorrent was showing a red warning and saying to change the listening port. As soon as I did this it reconnected again. I now remember that I had to do this yesterday when I was using it directly on the server.
    When I looked at the uTorrent log there were 2 warnings saying something about only using one listening port at a time.

I may be totally barking up the wrong tree, but is it possible that I had 2 instances of uTorrent going? Has this maybe caused some kind of duplication of data?
    I [i]now [/i]know (after hours of reading) that using programs from the desktop is not supported, and I'm wondering if this is maybe an example of why.

I have had a check with Dupecleaner and all it found were a couple of dupe .jpg files.

So to conclude (at last!) Have I borked my storage with my torrent fiddling, is it a different problem, is it something to do with the Drive Extender that I don't quite understand.
    Or can I just not count?

If you've read this far, then well done ;-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, Shadow Copies are considered part of the System when you look at the pie chart.  Did you switch off your Shadow Copies through the registry?
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:00 PM
  • No, not the registry, just through the disk management snap in.
    Thanks.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:05 PM
  • beeboy said:

No, not the registry, just through the disk management snap in.
    Thanks.

Then you probably didn't disable the Shadows.  (Most likely you just deleted the Shadows that were already there, but they will continue to run every 12 hours).  No doubt it already showed Shadow Copies as disabled, right?  The Shadow Copies on WHS are not controlled by Server 2003, but by QSM (the Storage Manager).  In order to disable it, you need to open the reigistry and make a modification. (NOTE:  If you aren't familiar with editing the registry, don't attempt this as making a mistake can really mess up your server!)

The registry path  is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  From there you will see multiple volumes.  You want to find the one that has a key called MountPoint and has a value of D:\.  Once you find that one, it should have another key called SnapPeriod with a value of 0x02932e00 (43200000).  That is the how often Shadow Copies run in milliseconds.  Change the value of that key to 0.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I'm happy to have a dig through the registry. I've messed up a few systems over the years, but not by messing with the registry (yet?) :-)

Thanks for the tip, seems to of worked fine, I'll check once 12 hours or so has passed.

The key, and changes that you suggest look vaguely familiar. I probably read them while looking for a solution earlier, but I think that I was mixing up duplication with shadow copies.

Thanks again for the help.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:51 PM