locked
Billing and account management RRS feed

  • Question

  • I purchased a one year subscription to Windows Live OneCare (covers up to 3 PCs) (billed to my American Express account) on May 22, 2008 after having downloaded and used OneCare for the 90 day trial period and am very pleased with the way it works.  I have been using the subscription with no problems until yesterday when I  tried to add a second PC to the account.  When I typed in the ID and password It said the billing account could not be found.  The account ID in the "grayed-out area" of the sign in screen was wrong.  It was missing a letter THH86@aol.com  I changed this to the correct ID THJH86@aol.com by downloading and following the instructions (below) provided on the OneCare help site:  

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/5/f759f03c-cee7-4e3d-978c-0d56b9a8533b/RemoveMachine.exe

     

    However, this resulted in a Red at risk status for my OneCare account - Urgent OneCare is no longer active on this PC.   This PC was removed from a OneCare circle and is no longer being protected.  To resume OneCare service, subscribe now or add to an existing subscription.

     

    When I sign in I get the following message:  No billing accounts - This Windows Live ID does not currently have a billing relationship with Microsoft.

     

    I still have 11 months on my subscription.  How do I get re-associated  with my existing account?  I've tried accessing with the old and new IDs and the old and new passwords.  Nothing works.  Am I just going to have to purchase a new subscription?

     

    I tried email support and provided them with all of the above information.  I received the following  reply:

     

    I would like to inform you first that we are unaware of any issues that would prevent you from accessing our services. If you could reply to this message with the following information, it will help us to further troubleshoot your concern. 

     

      - an exact description of the problem

      - the Windows Live ID site where you experienced this problem

      - the exact error message that you received

      - the actions that you took before you encountered the problem

     

    I assume this is just a generic reply since I had given all the requested information.

     

    Is there a solution to this problem.  I have clicked numerous help links and followed some threads here, but have not been able to reach "live" help or a phone number.

     

    Thanks,

    Bunkin

     

     

    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:59 AM

Answers

  • No need to buy a new subscription. Try this following steps first.

     

    If the other computers are currently using your subscription. Go to help > About Windows Live OneCare

    the next screen will give you your subscription id, or your Live ID.

     

    Also try to login to https://billing.microsoft.com

    Log-in with your Live ID, verify if onecare is active under that Live ID.

     

     

     

     

    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:20 AM

All replies

  • No need to buy a new subscription. Try this following steps first.

     

    If the other computers are currently using your subscription. Go to help > About Windows Live OneCare

    the next screen will give you your subscription id, or your Live ID.

     

    Also try to login to https://billing.microsoft.com

    Log-in with your Live ID, verify if onecare is active under that Live ID.

     

     

     

     

    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:20 AM
  • I've had the same problem. My old email address was incorrect, so when we've tried to put another computer on our subscription and we cannot remember the password, we cannot reset the password as the notification is sent to the incorrect address, hence we cannot retrieve it. I went and ran removecomputer.exe thinking it would allow me to change the subscription to our correct email address. I've created a new windows live account, but now it wants me to pay for a new subscriptioin. Very misleading!!! Microsoft Help!!

     

    It's probably a reply they send when they don't feel like helping you solve the problem ...

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:11 AM
  • I AM HAVING  SIMILIAR TROUBLES.  I RECENTLY HAD TO REINSTALL ONECARE .. NOW ITS TELLING ME I HAVE 15 DAYS LEFT.. TO RENEW.. I HAVE A 1 YR  SUBSCRIPTION ALREADY. COULD YOU PLEASE CORRECT THIS ERROR AND CONTACT ME ON THE UPDATE.

    THANKYOU

     

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:46 PM
  •  ROSE G wrote:

    I AM HAVING  SIMILIAR TROUBLES.  I RECENTLY HAD TO REINSTALL ONECARE .. NOW ITS TELLING ME I HAVE 15 DAYS LEFT.. TO RENEW.. I HAVE A 1 YR  SUBSCRIPTION ALREADY. COULD YOU PLEASE CORRECT THIS ERROR AND CONTACT ME ON THE UPDATE.

    THANKYOU

     

    Since you reinstalled OneCare you need to associate it with your subscription. Open OneCare, click on the subscribe link and log in with your subscription LiveID.

    If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

     

    If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

    Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

     

    If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

    For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

     

    -steve

     

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:13 PM
    Moderator
  •  RVCP-Ulladulla wrote:

    I've had the same problem. My old email address was incorrect, so when we've tried to put another computer on our subscription and we cannot remember the password, we cannot reset the password as the notification is sent to the incorrect address, hence we cannot retrieve it. I went and ran removecomputer.exe thinking it would allow me to change the subscription to our correct email address. I've created a new windows live account, but now it wants me to pay for a new subscriptioin. Very misleading!!! Microsoft Help!!

     

    It's probably a reply they send when they don't feel like helping you solve the problem ...

    Your email address and LiveID do not need to be the same. However, if you have a subscription, it is associated with a LiveID that may have been your old email address. Since you then had problems with the password reset due to not having an alternate email address set up in the LiveiD profile (http://accont.live.com) or "secret questions and answers," you will need to contact OneCare support to get your account straightened out. Your account is still active for the LiveID that you don't recall the password for and cannot be transferred to a new LiveID to the best of my knowledge.

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:17 PM
    Moderator
  • I tried the automated forum. it is not automated. I tested by typing a "curse" and it replied "I'm sure you can think of a better curse word than that". If it only recognizes common technical questions, how did it know d... was a curse word? when i typed in "billing" as my question, it typed back "I do not recognize the problem". I think microsoft has finally joined the rest of the world into scamming money from us by having auto-renewals unable to be canceled before the due date. I am changing my bank account. WATCH OUT FOR FRAUD FROM THESE BIG COMPANIES

    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:33 AM
  •  10xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

    I tried the automated forum. it is not automated. I tested by typing a "curse" and it replied "I'm sure you can think of a better curse word than that". If it only recognizes common technical questions, how did it know d... was a curse word? when i typed in "billing" as my question, it typed back "I do not recognize the problem". I think microsoft has finally joined the rest of the world into scamming money from us by having auto-renewals unable to be canceled before the due date. I am changing my bank account. WATCH OUT FOR FRAUD FROM THESE BIG COMPANIES

    There is no automated forum. If you went to Instant Help, which is online Help, it is automated in that it searches for the words you type in to provide information from within the Help System.

    To cancel your account before renewal or to request a refund and cancel if you are charged for renewal before you have a chance to cancel, contact support.

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:37 PM
    Moderator
  • hi

    i've bought the subscription from usa last year and i've got less than 2 month for the subscription end and  i dont live in usa anymore

    i've forgot the password ans the secret question, all need  is an international number for billing and account managment  to call to renew my subscription

    could you please send the number to this email port_uk@hotmail.com

    thanx  

    Friday, September 19, 2008 8:17 AM
  •  ahmad81 wrote:

    hi

    i've bought the subscription from usa last year and i've got less than 2 month for the subscription end and  i dont live in usa anymore

    i've forgot the password ans the secret question, all need  is an international number for billing and account managment  to call to renew my subscription

    could you please send the number to this email port_uk@hotmail.com

    thanx  

    You can renew online - http://billing.microsoft.com or uninstall OneCare and reinstall OneCare to create a new subscription with a different LiveID, assuming you are located in a country where OneCare is available. If not, then obtain a retail copy from an online retailer who will ship to your location of have someone living in a country where OneCare is sold purchase for you and send you the unused retail key. Use the retail key to renew your current subscription.

    If you still wish to contact support:

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:06 PM
    Moderator