none
Issue with sending Swedish characters in Oracle RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using a Web Application to send data to Oracle 12C Databse reading from Excel file. Everything was working very fine until users try to upload excel with Swedish Characters like "Å,å,Ä,ä,Ö,ö". Application is reading Swedish Characters from Excel and storing on variables perfectly. But while checking Oracle side, I found, it is actually storing data with strange ASCII characters Name:  Issue_01.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  10.6 KB. I tried to show this value on a Gridview and it is showing Swedish characters perfectly. Also I tried to write the string value to Text file with StreamWriter and its also working perfectly with Swedish. Oracle NLS Characterset set to "AL32UTF8". I tried following things but nothing worked - 

1. Changed application Culture to "sv-SE"
    2. Added "IMEX=1" to Excel Extended properties.
    3. Tried to add Excel Extended Properties character set to UTF8, Unicode, ISO-8859-1 etc.
    4. Tried to convert variable String to UTF8, Unicode, ISO-8859-1
    5. Tried to add Invariant Cultureinfo like this - Dim name As String = pr.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)
    6. Tried to add charactersets to web.config connection String.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 4:26 AM

All replies

• Sounds like the problem is not .NET but Oracle and would suggest asking your question in a Oracle forum which would not be here under the Microsoft forums.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Sounds like the problem is not .NET but Oracle and would suggest asking your question in a Oracle forum which would not be here under the Microsoft forums.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. But if I try swedish characters insert directly to database with SQL Developer it is working fine. Even I tried to insert data with Oracle Stored Procedure, this is also working fine. Only issue when when iserting from application.

Regards,

Rituparna

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Internally Oracle knows how to deal with foreign characters which is why it works in Oracle while working from your app in any .NET language be it VB.NET or C# it does not which is why I recommended going to Oracle for support as I'm sure your not the first to have this issue working with a .NET language. 

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Few more observations - 

1. If I try insert statement directly Table is accepting swedish characters.

2. In that case Gridview is not able to show Swedish Characters anymore.

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:38 AM
  • This doesn't change anything to what I said in my prior post. I would start here. Then here. The .NET provider for Oracle "is" from Oracle.

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, September 25, 2017 10:49 AM