Company field in Outlook how to change sync properties RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have thousands of contacts that have been imported, and I have created a customized field at that time, but I have a problem now when new contacts are created and sync to Outlook the company field is not populated, the same way around, when someone tracks a contact from Outlook into CRM, the company field is not updated.

Is there a workaround for this ? I was thinking changing the properties of the company filed in Outlook so instead looking at the Parent customer field, to look for my customized field, is this possible ?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi nrodi, unfortunately it is not possible to customise which CRM contact fields map to Outlook contact fields. The mappings are defined within Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and cannot be changed. The Outlook contact 'Company' field maps to the 'Parent Customer' field on the CRM contact record. This white paper provide more information: Outlook Synchronization in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

When you track a contact from Outlook to CRM, the Outlook contact's 'Company' field will not map to CRM. It will always be blank. Users need to manually associate the tracked CRM contact to the correct parent customer record. This is one of the reasons that I am not a fan of this feature -- it leads to bad quality data.

Regards,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, June 21, 2010 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:03 AM
  • In the Outlook sync options, you can have CRM overwrite the company name used in Outlook. CRM-Options-Synchronization-Second Section on the page

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Monday, June 21, 2010 12:27 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hi nrodi, unfortunately it is not possible to customise which CRM contact fields map to Outlook contact fields. The mappings are defined within Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and cannot be changed. The Outlook contact 'Company' field maps to the 'Parent Customer' field on the CRM contact record. This white paper provide more information: Outlook Synchronization in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

When you track a contact from Outlook to CRM, the Outlook contact's 'Company' field will not map to CRM. It will always be blank. Users need to manually associate the tracked CRM contact to the correct parent customer record. This is one of the reasons that I am not a fan of this feature -- it leads to bad quality data.

Regards,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:03 AM
  • In the Outlook sync options, you can have CRM overwrite the company name used in Outlook. CRM-Options-Synchronization-Second Section on the page

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Monday, June 21, 2010 12:27 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:26 AM

• thanks for the reply

Leon, the idea was to change the synch fields, I have populated thousands of contacts with a company information on a text field, but Outlook looks at the Parent Customer only, my idea was to tell outlook to get the company Field from a different place, like a custom entity.

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:58 AM
  • In which case it is as Neil says.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ 
    or hear me tweet @leontribe

Monday, June 21, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Has this changed at all for CRM 2011?

Voni

Voni Garrett
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:55 PM
  • No, it hasn't changed for CRM 2011. The Outlook contact's Company field still gets synced from the Parent Customer field on the CRM contact.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:41 AM