CRM 2011: On - premises setup/installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

While installing the Dynamics CRM 2011 on-premises, I am facing some error on validating step, on reporting services. Here, the SQL server 2008 R2 is installed on different machine.

I am gettin below error while validating the reporting services in CRM.

Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://<servername>/ReportServer_<sql_instance_name>. Error: Error occurred while finding an item on the report server.
    The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly

On SQL server event log, I found the below error.

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.<InstanceName>\MSSQL\DATA\MSCRM_CONFIG.mdf for file number 0. OS error: 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.<InstanceName>\MSSQL\DATA\ORG_MSCRM.mdf for file number 0. OS error: 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).

Could anyone please help me out to resolve this issue?

Thanks, Ankit Shah
    Inkey Solutions, India.
    Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Professionals
    http://www.inkeysolutions.com/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM.html
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:34 PM

Answers

• It's pretty clear then Ankit.   You have to get your domain and SQL permissions resolved.  Consider the CRM diagnostic as one of the better network health test tools.

Remember that you will need rights to the SQL server.

Generally, if you are added to the local admin group on the SQL server, you should not have a problem.

With SSRS there are issues regarding the account that runs the application pool of the web services that run the SSRS sight.

If its a local account that represents the machine account in AD then proper access to the ServicePrincipleNames of the machine account in the LDAP database should allow you to authenticate.

If you encounter errors on that count use the setspn tool that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Site.

But for now, if you receive this error on the localhost then clearly you do not have the rights set proplerly on the SQL server.

Perhaps you can download the planning guide document from the Microsoft download site and go over your prerequisites SQL server.

Hope all this helps.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• I suspect you do not have the right SQL permissions and rights which are different than the Windows Server Rights.

Good Luck

Anne

- Anne aka CRMLady Follow me on Twitter [CRMLady] RSS the Blog [www.CRMLady.com]
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Are you showing 18456 SQL errors in your application logs?

Sounds like  Anne is right, but you need to consider how you are authenticating.

On the SQL server can you reach SSRS with Http://localhost/reports?

Can you authenticate via an System DSN via ODBC?

Can you reach SSRS with HTTP://<Server Name>\reports?

Also , are these virtual servers?

There have been some issues like this with a lack of Page Pool memory.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi Ann and Curst,

Thanks for the reply.

While accessing the Http://localhost/reports? on SQL server machine I am getting the below error.

The permissions granted to user 'domainname\usersname' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied)

Thanks, Ankit Shah
    Inkey Solutions, India.
    Microsoft Certified Business Management Solutions Professionals
    http://www.inkeysolutions.com/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM.html
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:32 AM
  • It's pretty clear then Ankit.   You have to get your domain and SQL permissions resolved.  Consider the CRM diagnostic as one of the better network health test tools.

Remember that you will need rights to the SQL server.

Generally, if you are added to the local admin group on the SQL server, you should not have a problem.

With SSRS there are issues regarding the account that runs the application pool of the web services that run the SSRS sight.

If its a local account that represents the machine account in AD then proper access to the ServicePrincipleNames of the machine account in the LDAP database should allow you to authenticate.

If you encounter errors on that count use the setspn tool that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Site.

But for now, if you receive this error on the localhost then clearly you do not have the rights set proplerly on the SQL server.

Perhaps you can download the planning guide document from the Microsoft download site and go over your prerequisites SQL server.

Hope all this helps.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:40 PM