PS 2007 - Can we put access control on custom fields? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Can we restrict custom fields access to any particular user? or freeze for some users in project professional?

Thanks

Mohsin Raza
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• Not in PS2007 OOB, user having edit access to project can edit project custom fields as well, Other options that come to my mind

1. Restrict User by setting up a security group with edit permission denied, so they have read only view, probably would not be a good solution or may not be applicable, other you may look at (point 2)

2. Write a macro to reverse the changes if made any based on event

3. You may also write a Server Side Code and attacht it to server side event handler and put your custom logic, to protect changes if being made to the custom field

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• Not in PS2007 OOB, user having edit access to project can edit project custom fields as well, Other options that come to my mind

1. Restrict User by setting up a security group with edit permission denied, so they have read only view, probably would not be a good solution or may not be applicable, other you may look at (point 2)

2. Write a macro to reverse the changes if made any based on event

3. You may also write a Server Side Code and attacht it to server side event handler and put your custom logic, to protect changes if being made to the custom field

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:49 AM
  • This is more flexible with Project Server 2010 which has introduced some cool new features such as project types, workflow driven project custom fields and deprtmental specific custom fields. Good excuse to upgrade but not real helpful for the immediate issue. In addition to Sunils response, you could also utilise a report to display the desired data if the user does not require Project Professional access.=

Regards,

Piet Remen

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:45 PM