An unknown network error has occurred. RRS feed

• Question

• When I am trying to connect from an XP box to "server" I get the following error message; "An unknown network error has occurred."
    Monday, March 19, 2007 3:57 PM

Answers

• Similar to my response in the other thread:

I found the issue with unknown network error was that it could resolve through the IP, but not through the name 'server'. To get around this I added a line to the HOSTS file

192.168.x.x  Server  #WHS Beta

And now it connects perfectly every time :)

Hope this helps,

Dave

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• May be this post would help? I suspect your router is unable to resolve the name 'Server'.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1300747&SiteID=50 

Monday, March 19, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Similar to my response in the other thread:

I found the issue with unknown network error was that it could resolve through the IP, but not through the name 'server'. To get around this I added a line to the HOSTS file

192.168.x.x  Server  #WHS Beta

And now it connects perfectly every time :)

Hope this helps,

Dave

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Well, I have read through the posts for this problem and I think I have a twist on it.

I installed WHS, everything there went great, except having to change DVD-Rom drives part way through the install.  Sad

Then it came to the 2 main computers, running XP Pro, that I wanted to backup, I did have to use the Hosts file fix, but after that, those two worked perfectly.

Now it gets weird, I moved on to two more computers running, again XP Pro, edited the hosts file and neither of them connected.

Just got the stupid "Unknown Network error", So I reinstalled the Connector program on one of them and it still didn't "Connect";

However, just for giggles I right clicked on the icon and went to open the Console, typed in the ADMIN password and IT CONNECTED!!!

How in god's green earth could that connect without the Discovery.exe, connecting??

I even have attempted to fool around with some common registry setting I found on the two connected machine and importing them to one of the bad ones, to no avail.

Any Ideas??

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:36 AM
  • For Reference:

I also had the same error; I had disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP when configuring the network settings. Enabling it again fixed the problem.

Monday, May 7, 2007 8:59 PM
  • I have read all these posts and still can't get WHS Connector to install.  I get the "An unknown network..." message.  The discovery works in that it picks the WHS and asks me for the password.

I had it working on this computer, uninstalled it, deleted this computer from the WHS backup list, and now am trying to install it.

My server's name is "garcon".  On the Internet, it is garcon.sidner.org (try it!)  I have an SSL cert from GoDaddy.  I am very suspicious that the problem is that the WHS Connector software is trying to access the default Web site uing the name "garcon" and getting a certificate error and quiting.

Some diagnostics somewhere would help.  I looked at the event log on this client computer and on the WHS and find nothing.  Is there anywhere that else that I can look, to find out what unknown network error is occuring.

I can access the WHS shares by going to \\garcon.  I can access the Web site by going to http://garcon.sidner.org.

I can access the WHS using remote desktop.  I can access the WHS using the WHS console applet fromt the Web site on garcon.sidner.org.  I can run the WHS Console from the other computer on this network that I installed WHS Connector on a month ago.  I can run the WHS Console from the administrator account on the WHS.   I can ping "garcon".  I can ping "garcon.sidner.org" both with or without an entry in the HOSTS file.

I did change the workgroup name, but it is on all computers and I did that before I installed any of the WHS software a month ago.  Everything worked then just fine.

I am stumped.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:32 AM
  • I found a workaround.  I signed up for a domain name from the WHS console. This worked (sidner.livenode.com).  It did change the security certificate on the Web site, to a self-signed one from my server.

I tried the WHS Connector install and it worked.

I can access my server from the Internet as sidner.livenode.com, but it get a cert errror because the security cert is self-signed.  It seems curious to me that I can enroll for a domain name, but not get a valid cert.  How does this work in the RTM version?

I had previously set up this IP address under my own domain and bought an SSL cert.   This would seem to me to be a common thing to do.  True, Joe User would be fine using the domain name registration feature in WHS Console, but it would be nice if it were easy and documented on how to use a different domain and a commercially obtained SSL cert.  Maybe in version 1.1?

I also think this cured a problem with my client computers not getting automatically backed up.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:53 PM
  • I had this problem first on Vista and then an XP pro PC until I realized what I was doing wrong. I had extracted the files from the ISO CD image for the connector for ease of running from my network PC's. The installation process would go fine until the last step (after it asks you for the Server pw) then it would give me the "unknown network error has occured"

I then opened the ISO image with daemon tools and the autorun started and everything worked and installed perfectly. I'm not sure why the ISO would have to remain intact and you cannot just run the setup from the files extracted to a folder on the server but take it from me I struggled with it for the longest and apparently this is how you have to do it.

Just hoping I can save some frustration for someone else.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  

Hi

I have this same error, have tried the following:

Using the Connector software available on the home server

Using an extracted version of the connector software

I am unable to find an original iso to use instead.

Does anyone have this they could make available to me?

Also where do I find the HOSTS file?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:19 PM
  • I just reinstalled my whole WHS last night.

I was able to install the connector software from the server share.  I did copy it to my local desktop before I ran it.

I use a custom workgroup name for my home computers.  I manually changed this on the WHS (My Computer: Properties: Computer Name; reboot).  This was before I accessed the server using SMB file sharing, to get to the software folder where the connector software was.

- TooTallSid
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:42 PM