Transferring XP from one laptop to another RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 dell laptops. One with windows XP professional and another with Vista home edition. Sometime back Dell was selling all laptops with visa only and I had no option but to order laptop with vista OS installed on it. I removed Vista and installed a unlegit version of XP professional on one of the laptop. Couple of days back the laptop with legit version of XP died and i want to transfer licence from legit XP laptop to non-legit XP laptop.
    My question is
    1. Can i transfer licence from one laptop (which is dead) to another laptop.
    2. How do i do it ?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:47 AM Moved to correct category. (From:Genuine Advantage Offers - Eligibility Issues Forum)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hello prasrob,

If the Dell laptop that originally had Vista, had either Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, you could legitimately install XP Pro on that laptop using the Dell OS Reinstallation CD for XP Pro, taking advantage of the OEM Downgrade Rights afforded to you by the Vista Biz or Vista Ult Software Licensing Terms (SLT).  Vista Home Premium's Software Licensing Terms do not offer such a downgrade right.

Generally speaking, moving an OEM XP license from the computer onto which it was first installed to any other computer is not permitted by the EULA.  IIRC that's covered in Paragraph 1 of the EULA.

To read your XP Pro End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) or the Vista SLT, click the Start button, then type winver, then in the resultant window, click on the link to read your EULA/SLT.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:54 PM