none
Folder duplication over backups RRS feed

• Question

• If you are doing back ups am I right in saying that it only protects your data IF the system drive fails.
    and that if you use folder duplication it protects your files in the event that one of the storage drives dies?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

• Not quite. I assume you're talking about server backup, using the tool introduced in Power Pack 1. That will back up the contents of your shares, allowing you to store that backup and restore it at a later time. You could, for example, take your backup off-site (to a relative's house, etc.) for better protection in the event of disaster.

Share (not folder; it's controlled for an entire share) duplication protects the files in your shares against the failure of any single drive in your server, including the system drive. As long as all shares have duplication turned on, your files have two copies, stored on two different drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:22 PM
  • But then dont they both do the same thing?

If I have a backup and a drive dies - can I not just replace the drive and then restore the backup?

basically I dont want to do both if I dont have to due to disk space
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Its not always a drive, which dies. Assume overvoltage which hits your server and toasts all disks. Or a fire or water disaster in your home, a thief, a user or malicious software deleting or overwriting the wrong files on the server shares - all these are not covered by duplication.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Server backup is not an online, continuing process. It's taken at a point in time, and changes after that point are not recorded. So you really probably want both. Duplication protects you from most issues, and the backup protects you from a real disaster (your house burns down), though it's probably not as current.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Ok so realistically, I want to use duplication over backup - although as I backup my other PCs through the server using back up that is more for them as opposed to the server itself.
    When I perform a backup of the server itself the files are absolutely massive i'm talking 8+TB of DATA and at a cost of around £50 per TB in the UK I dont want to have to spend a fortune to achieve a backup
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Ok so realistically, I want to use duplication over backup - although as I backup my other PCs through the server using back up that is more for them as opposed to the server itself.
    When I perform a backup of the server itself the files are absolutely massive i'm talking 8+TB of DATA and at a cost of around £50 per TB in the UK I dont want to have to spend a fortune to achieve a backup
    Cost is a non-factor because if your intent is to have 2 of every file on your server (whether you use the drives for server backup or Folder Duplication), you're going to have to buy 8 TB of hard drive space either way.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Yes, but from what I understood from Kens post 8TB would just be sat as a backup (which to me seems like a waste of £400)
    Can anyone give any recommendations of software for moving the backup onto a disk?

Thanks
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:36 AM
  • I just setup WHS myself and had some of the same questions.  If I understand all the replies prior to this one, I want to setup duplication.  This means that all the copying is done automatically when it happens.  Similar to mirroring.  This means the 2nd drive is added to the pool, NOT setup as a backup drive, and all drives have the "Enable Folder Duplication" box checked.

To copy an entire hard drive (to bring it to an offsite location), I'd want a third drive, and WOULD set this up as a backup drive, manually copy stuff to it, and then remove it.

So for day-to-day backing up/copying, choose Duplication from a 2nd drive in the same drive pool.  For moving backups onto a disk (for taking somewhere), configure as a backup drive.

Does that sound right to you MVP's out there?

Friday, October 23, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I just setup WHS myself and had some of the same questions.  If I understand all the replies prior to this one, I want to setup duplication.  This means that all the copying is done automatically when it happens.  Similar to mirroring.  This means the 2nd drive is added to the pool, NOT setup as a backup drive, and all drives have the "Enable Folder Duplication" box checked.

Correct.

To copy an entire hard drive (to bring it to an offsite location), I'd want a third drive, and WOULD set this up as a backup drive, manually copy stuff to it, and then remove it.

Correct again.

So for day-to-day backing up/copying, choose Duplication from a 2nd drive in the same drive pool.  For moving backups onto a disk (for taking somewhere), configure as a backup drive.

Does that sound right to you MVP's out there?

Yep. You got it.  :)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:34 PM
  • Cool!  Thanks...
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Cool!  Thanks...
    Actually there is one correction to make on my previous post:  All drives do no have "Enable Folder Duplication" checked.  The duplication feature is based on shares, not drives.  (And if you start with only one drive, all shares start out as non-duplicated because there is obviously only one drive.  You would need to manually enable it on whichever shares you want it on once you add the second drive.)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:35 PM