Backup Re-organising RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

An idea that would be really useful in my situation would be to allow an option that once a backup is complete, files taken from each PC (my videos, my music, my photos) is automatically added to the WHS's videos, music, photos shared  folders.

This way i could suck up all my media, sort it and then it is available for distibution to any device connected to my network.

Regards
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 9:50 AM

Answers

• I feel it would be FAR too complex to implement. As WHS uses clusters, the additional processing of deciding which file should be transferred - or duplicated - from the back-up to the shared folders would be quite large.

You would then have to supply available rules for situations where, for example, I want my files copied, but 'I' don't want the childrens' copied; but, they, the children want theirs copied to each other, but not to me!

Surely, it would be easier just to copy them yourself to the requisite shared/personal folder/

Colin

Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:07 PM

All replies

• Well, the backups aren't stored as individual files; they're clusters of data from all the PCs enrolled with WHS, kept in a database of sorts. So there's an essential piece that may not even exist on WHS.

Plus there's the question of organization, since I organize my media very differently from my wife. How do you reconcile that automatically?

All that said, in a home where everyone has a lot of media, I can see your point. In our house, I'm the primary keeper of the media pile, so it's not an issue. Smile
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:08 PM
  • I feel it would be FAR too complex to implement. As WHS uses clusters, the additional processing of deciding which file should be transferred - or duplicated - from the back-up to the shared folders would be quite large.

You would then have to supply available rules for situations where, for example, I want my files copied, but 'I' don't want the childrens' copied; but, they, the children want theirs copied to each other, but not to me!

Surely, it would be easier just to copy them yourself to the requisite shared/personal folder/

Colin

Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Ok, i can see the difficulty in implementation and the simplicity in doing it oneself.

Thanks for your feedback however Smile
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:42 PM