none
Why need Windows SBS CD in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to add the windows component in add/remove program in WHS, but how come it ask me to put the Windows Server 2003 for Small Business CD.

Pls help 

Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:20 AM

Answers

• I haven't checked this recently, however I think most or all Windows Server 2003 components are present on the install CD, so it's not really limited.

Also please note that WHS isn't supposed to be used in this way, and that installing additional components could in some cases be a violation of the EULA. Basically you should only use the WHS console to manage the system. There's many things possible outside the WHS console, however please note that this unsupported and could potentially mess up WHS functionality.

From an "ordinary" customer view you shouldn't even access the Home Server Desktop.
    • Marked as answer by chihs Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:32 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:12 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server was based on Windows Server 2003 / SBS 2003. WHS is effectively a limited SBS 2003 install with a layer on top this which makes it Windows Home Server.

If it asks for SBS2003 CD the WHS install disk should do. Before you install additional Windows components / services from this disk please read the WHS EULA first.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, I think this should the answer, because it's limited functions.  However, from an "ordinary" customer view, these components items should not exist in the list for choosing.  Where the place I can find the relative document or the table to show such differences. 

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:26 AM
  • I haven't checked this recently, however I think most or all Windows Server 2003 components are present on the install CD, so it's not really limited.

Also please note that WHS isn't supposed to be used in this way, and that installing additional components could in some cases be a violation of the EULA. Basically you should only use the WHS console to manage the system. There's many things possible outside the WHS console, however please note that this unsupported and could potentially mess up WHS functionality.

From an "ordinary" customer view you shouldn't even access the Home Server Desktop.
    • Marked as answer by chihs Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:32 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Totally agree with you, it's not suit for everyone to have it at home. Thanks!
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:31 AM