none
Problems compressing a Visual Studio Solution

Question

• Good afternoon,

I am having some trouble compressing a Visual studio 2010 solution into a zip file so i can transport it to my other development computer to work on.

When i try to compress the entire solution folder into a zip file, it says 'file not found or no read permission'

I can compress any other file or folder within this folder without a problem and i know i have ownership of the folder and permissions are set to read and write for all folders and subfolders.

Any ideas how i can solve this? otherwise im stuck to development only on one computer?

thankyou

• Moved by Youjun Tang Monday, May 4, 2015 5:33 AM not related to Winforms Development
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 11:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you closed Visual Studio before compressing?

Also try copying your folder to another disk or folder. Do you receive an error?

Before leaving Visual Studio, try also executing the Clean command for your projects and solution. This should remove some unneeded files.

Saturday, May 2, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Do you do this from the program files folder and place the zip inside it, then you have no permission.

However, more a question for

http://answers.microsoft.com

Success
    Cor

Saturday, May 2, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Hi Btritech,

You could try the methods from replies of Viorel and Cor.

I am afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss about Windows Forms like form design and form controls. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to previous response there is a simple solution that will help you to do what you need even if you have a file that is lock by other application. You could use VSS copy and compress application. VSS copy will allow you to copy the file (VSS = Volume Shadow Copy Service, this is how backups application work). I had a lecture regarding the issue (focusing on SQL Server), but it was in Hebrew (most of the presentation in Hebrew but you check the links and the code there). basically you can even combine 2 open code like AlphaVSS class (.Net) and 7zip application, in order to develop your own VSS copy and compress application. This is very simple developing job (basically copy and paste).

Any way, I highly recommend to prefer 7zip on using the windows zip built-in app. It will give you better result (faster and smaller) and it handle those cases that the built-in app try to follow links to the source and copy it which might be your case (for example using symbolic link).

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:01 AM
  • They'll help you over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:15 AM