Howto change the name of the server RRS feed

• Question

• Well this is rather annoying actually. Due the the Active Directory Certification Service you cannot change the name of the Server. However I wanted to add a DNS Suffix, because I wanted to install a DNS Server on it. And what a surprise I cant. So my question is, can I simply deinstall and reinstall the Service? Or is there a howto for this task?

I didnt found anything. Am I the only one with this problem? :-)

Yours
    Rainer

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:59 AM

Answers

• Changing the name or workgroup of your server isn't supported in this build and changing the workgroup, at least, is blocked (per Microsoft) because it will cause issues. Probably changing the name will also cause issues. As for Active Directory Certificate Services, it's used by various components of Windows Home Server so no, you can't uninstall it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:28 AM

All replies

• Changing the name or workgroup of your server isn't supported in this build and changing the workgroup, at least, is blocked (per Microsoft) because it will cause issues. Probably changing the name will also cause issues. As for Active Directory Certificate Services, it's used by various components of Windows Home Server so no, you can't uninstall it.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Well I only wanna change the DNS Suffix. Nothing more. This was possible in the old homeserver without problems. I dont wanna join a Domain and I dont wanna rename it. Just change the DNS Suffix. If this is an issue for microsoft to change those settings, they should make them configureable on the setup screen.

Or can I change the DNS Suffix?

Friday, May 14, 2010 1:42 PM
  • You've really already answered your own question: you can't change the DNS suffix. It's part of the computer name, which you are not permitted to change in this build.

I can't say if you will be able to change it in a future build...

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I am a Microsoft fan actually but that is again typically that you cant change something fundamental, I usually even dont think about.

Though I will try and see what happens if I deinstall the service, change the name and reinstall it.

Thanks.

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:11 PM

Unable to rename the server from "SERVER" and unable to change the workgroup name from "WORKGROUP."

That's two deal-breakers for me in one go. Excellent. I'll go use FreeNAS instead I suppose.

Oh, and when I attempt to "repair" server from the boot DVD, it informs me that the server was not restored, and I should resolve the problem and try again. It does not, however, tell me what the problem *is*. Poor software design is my (angry and frustrated) guess.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:55 PM
  • You can make the changes you want, but only during a clean install.  See bottom of thread

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsvailbeta/thread/9562b42c-a252-4c96-8e3d-c2ebbef35275

Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:25 PM