WHS locking up every other day on average RRS feed

• Question

• WHS was locking up about every other day and the hard drive light was on solid. Had to power cycle the PC to get WHS back up. Moved my two hard drives (both Seagate) 1.0 TB and 1.5 TB into a brand new desktop with 3 GB of RAM. The hard drives are setup ... 1.5 TB has a 20 GB partition for the OS and the rest for data. The 1.0 TB is all data. The new PC was running Windows XP with no issues for 6 months. Reinstalled WHS. Worked fine for about a week and now it is doing it again, locking up. Ran Chkdsk on both drives. Now I see the System takes 427 GB per the WHS console Server Storage tab. I think it was less than 20 GB before (I think but not sure). Any ideas what is wrong or what I am doing wrong? I'm not an expert in the least so any explanation needs to be not to technical. Thanks in advance or any help. I'm thinking I need to backup my data to another hard drive. Start with a new install and format the data drives. I did run the BIOS check on the hard drives and both show no errors. I'm at a loss. Would be nice to not have to start completely fresh.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:35 AM

All replies

• Until you can identify the problem, your data could be vulnerable. Suggest getting your data off and doing a reformat/reinstall.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:00 AM