none
Newly added shared folders not showing up on Xbox RRS feed

• Question

• My setup:

Custom built 2 TB WHS server with PP2
    Multiple workstations with XP SP3
    Xbox 360 connected to network via a wireless Bridge

I have around 30 subfolders in my "videos" shared folder.  Everything works great when the server is accessed from a PC or from other media extenders. 

The issue I am having is with my 360.  When I go into my video library on the XBox, it only shows 14 of my 30 shared video sub-folders.  Any new sub-folder I add does not show up.  I can transfer a file from a missing folder to a visibile folder and it plays fine.

I am also having this issue with my "Music" shared folder.

What I have tried so far:
    All latest updates for WHS installed
    All latest updates for Xbox installed
    Turned sharing on and off
    Messed around with the permissions extensively (via remote desktop)

Some more info:
    Guest account enabled
    I have a share created on the d:/shares folder to allow a networking mapping (unrelated to the Xbox)  The permission for this is the "everyone" group "Allow All"
    All files put into the "video" folder (not into a sub-folder) show up fine

Any ideas?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:38 PM

Answers

• I think I have figured it out.  It appears that the xbox will not 1) display empty folders and 2)display folders containing only non supported file types (e.g. my movie .iso files)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:40 PM

All replies

• mcnealp said:

My setup:

Custom built 2 TB WHS server with PP2
    Multiple workstations with XP SP3
    Xbox 360 connected to network via a wireless Bridge

I have around 30 subfolders in my "videos" shared folder.  Everything works great when the server is accessed from a PC or from other media extenders. 

The issue I am having is with my 360.  When I go into my video library on the XBox, it only shows 14 of my 30 shared video sub-folders.  Any new sub-folder I add does not show up.  I can transfer a file from a missing folder to a visibile folder and it plays fine.

I am also having this issue with my "Music" shared folder.

What I have tried so far:
    All latest updates for WHS installed
    All latest updates for Xbox installed
    Turned sharing on and off
    Messed around with the permissions extensively (via remote desktop)

It's possible your permissions are messed up.

mcnealp said:

Some more info:
    Guest account enabled
    I have a share created on the d:/shares folder to allow a networking mapping (unrelated to the Xbox)

This is not supported (not to mention a bad idea).

mcnealp said:

The permission for this is the "everyone" group "Allow All"
    All files put into the "video" folder (not into a sub-folder) show up fine

Any ideas?

First, did you try rebooting both the XBox 360 and the server?  What file types do you have stored in the folders that are not visible?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Ok Heres an update, this is getting really weird.  It appears to an issue dealing with folders that only contain folders (rather than files)

I ran this series of tests:

1) Added the empty folder "movies" to the "Videos" shared folder--did not show up
    2) Put a subfolder "horror" (containing some movie files) into the movies folder  So the structure is Videos-->Movies-->horror.  Movies folder did not show up
    3) Added a movie iso into the "Movies" folder  Now this blows my mind.  The "Movies" folder shows up with the file in it, but the subfolder "horror" does not.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Kariya21,

Thanks for the reply.  I have removed the network map/share on the d/shares folder, as well as rebooted both machines several times.
    Most of the files are .avi video files.

Still nothing.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:16 PM
  • I think I have figured it out.  It appears that the xbox will not 1) display empty folders and 2)display folders containing only non supported file types (e.g. my movie .iso files)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:40 PM
  • mcnealp said:

I think I have figured it out.  It appears that the xbox will not 1) display empty folders and 2)display folders containing only non supported file types (e.g. my movie .iso files)

I know 2 is correct.  As for 1, I've never actually tried playing from an empty folder, but I suspect that is correct as well.  After all, why would you play anything from an empty folder? :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, but it's nothing to do with file formats. My 360 was fine until I installed Windows7 on my PC. I can access all shared folders using Media Center Extender on the 360, but when I use the 'Photo Library' tab, I can't see any folders I've created since moving to Win7, even those I can see on Media Center. It's also started not displaying all the photos in folders that it can see, even though it used to.
    • Edited by JimJamAATG Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:34 PM extra info
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, but it's nothing to do with file formats. My 360 was fine until I installed Windows7 on my PC. I can access all shared folders using Media Center Extender on the 360, but when I use the 'Photo Library' tab, I can't see any folders I've created since moving to Win7, even those I can see on Media Center. It's also started not displaying all the photos in folders that it can see, even though it used to.

7 isn't officially supported until Power Pack 3 is released for WHS.  You could try downloading the beta version of PP3 from Connect (or just wait until it's released).
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:43 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but mine seems to not be able to see new folders after the OEM reinstall from trial. I have played around with moving .avi files that the xbox can see into a new folder that it cant see and it still wont see the folder or files all with in the shared \videos folder.  I'm not sure if there is some permissions that i can play around with or?? I made sure i used all the same user names and passwords when i did the reinstall and i have enabled a guest account without a password (although with media sharing that shouldnt be required).

Mike
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Hi everybody... I've been having the same issues with AVI files not showing up in my shared folders... and I WISH Microsoft mentioned this sooner because I stumbled apon the solution tonight after many frustrating hours trying to work it out.

Simply open Windows Media Player and Sinc your library.. as your Xbox360 and PS3 uses a Windows Media Streaming service, it will not see the files unless they have been correctly synced to your library.. Problem solved. :-)  

Mitch.  

• Proposed as answer by GarthH_BI Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:24 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 11:13 AM
  • That worked for me.
    Garth H MCTS: SQL 2008 BI http://bitinkering.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I was having these issues with my Google TV and Xbox 360. But the fix was simply opening up Windows Media Player and allowing it to update file locations. Worked perfectly.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:13 AM
  • I am having the same problem it seems to take 24 hours before it the xbox 360 will see the file same with the windows player on my computer but I can access the files directly through my computer and play them no problem.  The only fix I have found is to wait.  It is really annoying.  If anyone finds a fix please post.
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:41 AM