Windows Genuine Advantage Kit RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi! I am confused regarding Windows Genuine Advantage Kit's license which I purchased online when I found out that my OS was a non-genuine. The question is, Is it transferrable? I asked two Microsoft personell, Marcus Tan of Microsoft WGA Support Team says it is transferrable and Microsoft Philippines' Senior Product Manager says otherwise. Thank you.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:02 AM

Answers

• Galwin,

The WGA Kit purchased directly frrom Microsoft provides a retail license for XP.  One of the differences beween an OEM license and a retail license is that the OEM license is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed and cannot be moved to a different computer.  Retail licenses for XP can be moved from one computer to another.

Neither retail licenses nor OEM licenses can be installed on more than one computer at a time.  Each computer needs its own separate license for XP.

Both retail and OEM licenses can be reinstalled on the same computer an unlimited amount of times.  Activation may be required for each installation; activation may have to be done telephonically depending upon circumstances.

Note that the above applies to the USA.  Not sure if the same terms apply in the Philippines.  To view your installation's End User Licensing Agreement, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then in the resulting dialog box click on the link to see your EULA.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:57 PM

All replies

• Galwin,

The WGA Kit purchased directly frrom Microsoft provides a retail license for XP.  One of the differences beween an OEM license and a retail license is that the OEM license is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed and cannot be moved to a different computer.  Retail licenses for XP can be moved from one computer to another.

Neither retail licenses nor OEM licenses can be installed on more than one computer at a time.  Each computer needs its own separate license for XP.

Both retail and OEM licenses can be reinstalled on the same computer an unlimited amount of times.  Activation may be required for each installation; activation may have to be done telephonically depending upon circumstances.

Note that the above applies to the USA.  Not sure if the same terms apply in the Philippines.  To view your installation's End User Licensing Agreement, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then in the resulting dialog box click on the link to see your EULA.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Dan,

Thank you for replying. I have another question, does that mean you have never seen a WGA Kit with Supplemental EULA? Is WGA offers different depending on location albeit purchased the same way (online) ?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:59 AM