Money 99 UK on XP to new computer with Windows 7 starter RRS feed

• Question

• As a "silver surfer" with limited computer literacy I've read several of the posts but am still very anxious about proceeding.

I'm running Money '99 UK on 32 bit XP with 12 years worth of data, and now need to transfer to a new netbook with Windows 7 starter. Could anyone please give me a straight forward, step by step guide to do this?

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:39 PM

All replies

• Download the Microsoft UK Money 2005 using the link on the post listed first in this forum, and run that on the new computer. Complete the installation, but do not open Money yet.

Copy your *.mny and newest *.mbf files from the old computer to the Documents folder on the new computer. You may want to use a USB flash drive to carry the files.

In the new computer, go to Windows Explorer, and locate the *.mny file that you copied. Right-click that file, and choose Open. That should launch Money and trigger the conversion to the UK Money 2005 format. The location of that *.mny file will be remebered if you later open Money directly.

In  Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, for your upon-exit backup file, Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a filename for your backup; the file location remembered from your old file probably does not exist on the new computer. I suggest you plug in a USB flash drive, and Browse to that for the location for your scheduled backup.

Review your backup policies. Periodically copy your newest *.mbf file to other media, in case your hard drive fails or your Money file gets corrupted somehow. You don't want to overwrite your only good backup file by backing up a corrupted Money file over it.

If you want to be able to take your newer *.mny file back to the old computer, you would have to install Microsoft UK Money 2005 on that computer first. Do not do that until you are happy with the operation on the new computer. Losing your Money file would be very bad.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Thank you very much for this.

Was all going so well!

When I opened the money file from the USB flash file the money program opened and a "Name the restored file" "Money will use your backup file to create a new restored file thats saved to...... mydocuments"window opened. On pressing the restore button I get "file name is invalid. Please use a valid file name" but ther's nowhere to see or change the file name

Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Looking at the "Name the restored file", click Browse. Browse to your Documents folder. Choose a fileame name such as Cogs5 or Cogs5.mny. The .mny gets put on automatically if you do not specify it.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Excellent! Very many thanks. All ll working well
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:43 PM