Windows Genuine Advantage Notification hangs during install process. RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently received your WGA wizard via whatever update it was attached to. I have a genuine OEM version of Windows XP suppplied with my Packard Bell laptop. I do not use any MS software aside from Windows (eg, I have Open Office etc, although the PC came with some MS software)

Your Wizard attempts to start at start-up, and despite disabling my firewall - I assume that WGA Wizard calls home -, cannot complete ( it hangs, saying, "running processes after install")

I have read several variations of this problem on this forum, notably I can't install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification and Get Rid of WGA Noftications Install Wizard Upon Start Up . In starting a new thread I am following Stephen Holm's suggestion: "Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own..."

I have followed the very brief suggestion by Carey Frisch in each, and the more detailed instructions by Stephen Holm, particuarly those in the 2nd link. )

Using IE6 throughout, I have run the online diagnostic tool (http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en), with the following results:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
    Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled Passed ActiveX enabled
    Passed Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help: Data.dat Corruption check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Cryptography check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Product Activation check

I restarted and the wizard appeared once again.

I then ran the MS Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (1.9.0006) (download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

The "Windows" results panel has the following:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DVPWP-KTHH7-43TWQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: tslAXmUidWTD88L+sh2tbWH30/o=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00109
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {10215ECC-8F05-460C-8DDF-F19D50B87404}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 109
    Version: 1.7.105.35
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: ftp=192.168.0.7:3128;gopher=192.168.0.7:3128;http=192.168.0.7:3128;https=192.168.0.7:3128
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{10215ECC-8F05-460C-8DDF-F19D50B87404}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-43TWQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00109</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4179434782-1765929158-4026064292</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NEC Computers International</Manufacturer><Model>Packard Bell EasyNote</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>NEC                                                             </Manufacturer><Version>R1.01                                                           </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050715000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>NECC_,NEC-PC,NEC Computers,NEC_Product</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>4B343307018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>1C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>South Africa Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Packard Bell</name><model>Packard Bell Computer</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1FFC0:MITAC TECHNOLOGY CORP|1FFB0:NEC Corporation|1FFB0:Packard Bell B.V
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: NECC_,NEC-PC,NEC Computers,NEC_Product

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I have a "COA" sticker attached to the machine, which states "Windows XP Professional" then, in bold, "NEC", followed by the Poduct Key. There is no mention of OEM

So there you have it. It looks to me that I have a genuine copy.

I cannot see any reason to have your WGA wizard installed at all, to be honest, but I'd prefer not to see it at every start-up, so please give me further instructions to either removie it completely or allow it to complete the installation.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:36 PM

Answers

• I almost did not respond, after I wrote a full reply which then was lost due to timeout - but, in the hope that it will help, I'll give a brief summary:

I followed the instructions, and received a "Valid Windows" message from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

It also recreated the data.dat file.

On reboot,. WGA Wizard started again.

I was going to give up, but decided to bypass my proxy (direct connection to the internet in IE6) and disabled my firewall and antivirus. I then ran the WGA Wizard, and amazingly enough, it actually completed.

It irks me that I as a genuine user is asked to jump through hoops and seek help from MS in installing a so-called "optional" piece of software, that, if I were a non-genuine user I would not consider installing.

The onus should not be on genuine users to prove their software is genuine, but on Microsoft to come up with a better method of ascertaining validity of NON-genuine users.

However, it is working, installed, and hopefully there will be a better method of validation in Windows 7.

Thank you Stephen for your help.
    • Marked as answer by scudsucker Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Scudsucker,

Thank you for visiting the WGA Forum today.  Please follow the steps below and delete the data.dat file. Please post back and let us know if this was able to resolve your problem. 

Locate the file:
    C:\ Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine
    Advantage\data\data.dat

Next delted it. 

Reboot your computer.

Please try and validate Windows @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/
    Locate and click the "Validate Windows" button.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you.

No, deleting the data.dat file and re-running the validation does not help.

The validation site tells me, (after delete/reboot)

Validation Complete
    Thank you for completing the validation process and for using genuine Microsoft software.

I see it has created a new data.dat file.

When I restart, the WGA wizard is still present. The WGA wizard still is unable to complete the installation process (hangs on "running processes after install")

Is there any way to install it without the "Wizard", eg via command line- I am a reasonably technically knowledgeable user.

OR-

As the WGA wizard states, "It will help me to find out if my copy of Windows XP is genuine" As I know it is genuine, I do not need this update, and I am happy to validate my copy via the old Active-X method when downloading updates. Therefore, I do not need the WGA wizard.

How do I remove it completely?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT - On a whim, I decided to try to run the WGA Wizard once again after these steps. I first disabled my proxy settings for IE, and disabled my firewall and anti-virus. Amazingly enough, the Wizard ran through to completion.

This process, in my opinion, was a serious waste of time. I have restarted my laptop over 15 times while trying to get so-called "optional" nag-ware to install.

While I do see MS's point of view in that vast numbers of Windows installations are not genuine, I think the tactics employed should be a) less intrusive, and b) not put the onus on the (genuine) user to install the software - if I had had a non-genuine version I would have lived with the nag-ware as I would not expect any help to remove it! I hope Windows 7 addresses the issues better.

Thanks, Stephen, for your help.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:30 AM
  • I almost did not respond, after I wrote a full reply which then was lost due to timeout - but, in the hope that it will help, I'll give a brief summary:

I followed the instructions, and received a "Valid Windows" message from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

It also recreated the data.dat file.

On reboot,. WGA Wizard started again.

I was going to give up, but decided to bypass my proxy (direct connection to the internet in IE6) and disabled my firewall and antivirus. I then ran the WGA Wizard, and amazingly enough, it actually completed.

It irks me that I as a genuine user is asked to jump through hoops and seek help from MS in installing a so-called "optional" piece of software, that, if I were a non-genuine user I would not consider installing.

The onus should not be on genuine users to prove their software is genuine, but on Microsoft to come up with a better method of ascertaining validity of NON-genuine users.

However, it is working, installed, and hopefully there will be a better method of validation in Windows 7.

Thank you Stephen for your help.
    • Marked as answer by scudsucker Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Good Morning Scudsucker,

Thank you for replying and letting us know what has happened. I have another alternative for you to try in the future should this problem show itself with you. 

Step 1: WGA Manual ActiveX Installation

Click the Start button, then Click Run

Type: iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204  then Click OK

You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”

Choose Open

Once this completes, a window will open showing two files. “LegitCheckControl.dll” and “LegitCheckControl.inf” Leave this window open for now.

Type: system32, then Click OK

(If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click Show Files to allow access to this system directory.)

Drag the “LegitCheckControl.dll” file from the window that was open into the “system32” directory folder. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose Yes, to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, Press Continue, and allow it.)

Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows XP again. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully?

Again Scudsucker thank you and if we may be of further assistance please let us know :-)

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I hope you can help, scudsucker. I am trying to implement your solution, but I cannot get past the WGA wizard. Like you, it freezes up on me; however, I can't do anything else on my system while it sits there. Trying to cancel it produces the same "hanging" result. I have also tried to boot up in Safe Mode to no avail.

I agree with you about the intrusiveness of this process. The thing that annoys me about Microsoft is not that they implement security and validation measures, but that they seem to do so without rigorously testing their updates first. I currently have two computers down due to the MS-Update process...that's ridiculous.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:10 AM
  • I have had an issue with this just recently. I killed the hung wgasetup process through taskmanager, then opened the task scheduler where you will find the the wgasetup as a login task. delete the task. Then just for luck go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and then run the validation. Problem should be gone..
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:57 AM
  • I had the exact same problem with the Windows Genuine Advantage tool hanging about 80% of the way through installation, at the "Running processes after install". I had to bypass proxy server, and disable Symantec Endpoint Protection (AV and Firewall). Then the installation completed successfully. - Annoying or what!
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:40 AM