Defragging WHS drives RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering how safe is it to use Diskkepper or windows defrg on WHS system and data drives?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:33 PM

All replies

• Jimi,

The Microsoft documentation says not to use the inbuilt defrag, or any of other server 2003 tools, to work on the disks. At present, there are two WHS aware defrag's, the Diskeeper and PerfectDisk. Both Companies have versions available for WHS and I think, both have trial versions.

I've used the Diskeeper version since it's beta and it runs just fine in the background.

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:39 PM
  • I'm not sure I see the value of defragging a server disk.  I mean, NTFS is inherrently fragmented anyway, and with DE there will be still further overhead in terms of the tombstoning.  And then there is the unknown of what the balancing is actually doing.

Personally, I would just let WHS and the server's caching do it's thing.  If you worried about disk throughput in an intensive multi-user scenario (i.e. multiple HD streams perhaps), just stick in some more RAM (to make a bigger system cache).

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I'd have to agree with Jimbo! here. I did ruin a beta WHS installation running the built in defrag tools.  Also, WHS seems to frag itself by design (C-Drive), but it seems to have no effect on performance.

I even tried the Diskeeper and Perfect disc products. Personally, I felt they used too much system ram and I really saw little return on performance. Sure the guages all said "Zero Fragmentation," but I saw no reall improvement in server performance. So, why spend the money on them.

I've let WHS chug along now for 5 months now and have not touched it with regard to defrag. And it works just fine.... JMHO.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I don't think you want to go without defragmentation.

Raxco has a disk fragmentation tool on their website that create fragmentation, because it's cool and because it's a great way to see just how fragmentation can kill your disk performance.

Download from here: http://www.raxco.com/support/kb_detail.cfm?action=options&prod=1&ver=2008
    The heading is Raxco Tools, it's called "scramble".

If you have the time / resources to play around with the tool (use a test partition), I'm sure you will see that after running it a few times it will run slower and slower each time, until it crawls. And the less free space you have the faster your performance will degrade. If you have a really fast setup, and tons of free space you can get a sense of just how powerful your disk array is by counting the number of times you have to run the tool before it really starts to crawl.

It's a great way to see for yourself that no type of Disk Array is immune to fragmentation.
    I'm biased towards PerfectDisk so take this with a grain of salt but I would stay away from anything that doesn't come from Raxco. But I would definatly choose some solution rather than no solution if you care about maximum performance, or ensuring that your performance never goes down.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:00 PM
  • I use Diskeeper 2008 HomeServer edition and it works very good. It keeps the drivers constantly defragged automatically. Nice WHS console plug-in that shows amount of space left on each drive among other things.

http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/home/homeserver.asp
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I've been running Diskkeeper for WHS since it came out of beta, and have had no problems so far.

Running on a system with 16 hdd's, and it does not use a lot of system resources as others have said before.

At least not on my server.

And, the performance boost is huge (of course since my disks was extremely fragmented before I start using DK)

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  RTS4ME wrote:
    I don't think you want to go without defragmentation.

Raxco has a disk fragmentation tool on their website that create fragmentation, because it's cool and because it's a great way to see just how fragmentation can kill your disk performance.

Download from here: http://www.raxco.com/support/kb_detail.cfm?action=options&prod=1&ver=2008
    The heading is Raxco Tools, it's called "scramble".

If you have the time / resources to play around with the tool (use a test partition), I'm sure you will see that after running it a few times it will run slower and slower each time, until it crawls. And the less free space you have the faster your performance will degrade. If you have a really fast setup, and tons of free space you can get a sense of just how powerful your disk array is by counting the number of times you have to run the tool before it really starts to crawl.

It's a great way to see for yourself that no type of Disk Array is immune to fragmentation.
    I'm biased towards PerfectDisk so take this with a grain of salt but I would stay away from anything that doesn't come from Raxco. But I would definatly choose some solution rather than no solution if you care about maximum performance, or ensuring that your performance never goes down.

Well, I have toyed with fragmentation on WHS and I have yet to find any slow down with regard to system performance. It's not a desktop unit, so it will not affect it quite the same.   I'm not saying that fragmentation will not slow a system, but it does depend on the type of system too.

My points earlier were that I ran the two WHS designed products and found ZERO performance benefit. Also, I found that they both hogged a ton of system memory which slowed my system waaaaaaay down.   Just because the gauges on the dashboard say 0 frags does not mean it is running any better. So, why spend any money on such a thing. I found that they did nothing...

To each his/her own. If you buy into it and it "seems" to do something..then I guess it works for you. Personally, I look at real return and benefit for the work and money.  I've found no reason to buy into the hype of needing a pay-for defrag software on a server..... JMHO
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Defragging drives are alway helpful.  I use PerfectDisk8 every few months on the fragged drives.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:01 AM