Windows 7 Pro upgrade activation; product key purchased from Microsoft Store - showing as invalid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I already posted this to another forum, and was advised by a forum regular, Noel Paton, to cross-post this here. I would be highly obliged and grateful if anybody could help me with this.

First, the problem. My Netbook came with the awful Windows 7 Starter Edition. I bought a Windows 7 Professional upgrade at the Microsoft Student Store via Digital River, and got a Product Key and downloaded the installation files. When I started the install process, it told me that in order to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Pro, I need to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade. I did that, and when asked for a product key, I put in the product key. It was accepted and the installation was done.

However, this morning I checked the properties of My Computer and found the "Activate my windows" link active. When I clicked on it, the Activation Wizard came up and asked for the key. When I put in the key, I got the dreaded error message 0xC004F061. The Activation Wizard will not recognize my genuine Microsoft Product key bought yesterday.

Is there a reason why Microsoft punishes this way those who want to do the right thing and use only legally obtained Microsoft software?

I tried calling the Microsoft support line, but it seems they don't work on the weekends! On Noel's advice, I ran the MGDiag tool, and here is the readout.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-CM74G-RPHKF-PW487
    Windows Product Key Hash: 71BRYMECVaSXedfumfu8zryHJVY=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-177-0000061-85340
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048
    ID: {DCA7E4AE-6F12-45E6-AE37-53501D6596E5}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData>
    <UGUID>{DCA7E4AE-6F12-45E6-AE37-53501D6596E5}</UGUID>
    <Version>1.9.0027.0</Version>
    <OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OS>
    <Architecture>x32</Architecture>
    <PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-PW487</PKey>
    <PID>00371-177-0000061-85340</PID>
    <PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2322527735-3517080521-690750197</SID>
    <SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer>
    <Model>TOSHIBA NB305</Model></SYSTEM>
    <BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>V1.40</Version>
    <SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/>
    <Date>20100316000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS>
    <HWID>99BA3607018400F4</HWID>
    <UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID>
    <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin>
    <SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID>
    <OEM><OEMID>TOSCPL</OEMID><OEMTableID>TOSCPL00</OEMTableID></OEM>
    <GANotification><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification>
    </MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result>
    <Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
    Activation ID: e838d943-63ed-4a0b-9fb1-47152908acc9
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00371-00170-177-000006-00-1033-7600.0000-1502010
    Installation ID: 004121514325801644580631965983436210777792124713883080
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: PW487
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 42660 minute(s) (29 day(s))
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 5/30/2010 11:02:36 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: N/A
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: N/A
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAEAAgABAAIAAQABAAAAAQABAAEAJJRirRU/GN0g6PACDP/o63f2ktvU2XIZ

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      FACP   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      HPET   DELL    M09    
      BOOT   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      MCFG   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      TCPA   Phoeni  x     
      SLIC   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      SSDT   PmRef  Cpu0Tst
      SSDT   PmRef  Cpu0Tst
      SSDT   PmRef  Cpu0Tst

Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:21 PM

Answers

• A big thanks to everyone who wrote in and tried to help me, Noel, Carl, Dan. I have learnt quite a bit through this discussion, and shall keep them in mind in the future. My current problem is now resolved after calling Microsoft's Tech Support. It took me quite some time to reach them; navigating through automated systems was a bit of a pain, but finally when we got connected, the tech support person listened to my problem, understood the issue, and ran a tool called MSDT. I had to put in some numbers that they provided, and eventually the Activation system recognized my product key. So my Windows 7 Professional is now activated and working.
    • Marked as answer by suirauqa Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• type SLUI 4 in the search box, on the start menu, hit enter, select your country, dial the number. When presented with menu options do not select any, do not press any buttons at this point and an operator will answer the phone. Attempt to activate by phone.

Thanks

Carl

Sunday, May 30, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Thanks, Carl. I've already tried that, to no avail. The phone activation system didn't recognize the product key, and I was transferred to a human operator. When I told him about my situation, he suggested that I contact the Product Key division and gave me a phone number for that purpose. When I called that number, I found that their office is closed.

I am frustrated and annoyed right now. What was my mistake that I am having to go through so much of hassles? Just that I wanted to use genuine Microsoft software, and purchased it from Microsoft?

Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:43 PM
  • The key that is being used is a keyless install key, for whatever reason your anytime upgrade key is not the one that shows up as the installed key.

You can try the following but I do not know if it will work.

First, open system properties by pressing pause and the win key at the same time, scroll to the bottom and look for an option to "install new product key" click on that link, install the product key that came with your upgrade and click OK, it will either try to activate that key or you may have to click the activate now link in system properties.

Look at your key, that came with your confirmation email or with your product, compare it to this one from your report, is should be different. DO NOT POST your key, just compare it and let us know if it is the same of different.

*****-*****-CM74G-RPHKF-PW487

To illustrate my point that your key is a keyless install or default key search for the above on google.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Hello suiraqua,

You simply bought the wrong thing at the Student Store.

You really should have purchased this:  http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Windows-7-Starter-to-Professional/product/76B856AE

Hopefully the Student Store terms of sale allow returns.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Hello suiraqua,

You simply bought the wrong thing at the Student Store.

You really should have purchased this:  http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Windows-7-Starter-to-Professional/product/76B856AE

Hopefully the Student Store terms of sale allow returns.

Dan,

Thanks for the message. There must be something wrong somewhere... The product that you pointed to shows up as $119.95, whereas when I tried to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade option (from within my Netbook) to see what my choices were, it showed me a price of $79.95. When I purchased the Windows 7 Professional upgrade from the Microsoft Student store (going via Ultimate Steal for verification of my school ID and was taken to Digital River thereafter), it was the correct version. I can put up a screenshot of my receipt if you like, that clearly states that I purchased the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit (SKU: FQC-02811) and was given a product key to go with it. Therefore, the question of buying the wrong thing does not arise, IMO.

And returns? Can I emit a hollow, sardonic laughter laced with frustration, annoyance and anger at that?

Carl,

Let me try that and I shall report back anon.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:51 PM
  • The key that is being used is a keyless install key, for whatever reason your anytime upgrade key is not the one that shows up as the installed key.

You can try the following but I do not know if it will work.

First, open system properties by pressing pause and the win key at the same time, scroll to the bottom and look for an option to "install new product key" click on that link, install the product key that came with your upgrade and click OK, it will either try to activate that key or you may have to click the activate now link in system properties.

Look at your key, that came with your confirmation email or with your product, compare it to this one from your report, is should be different. DO NOT POST your key, just compare it and let us know if it is the same of different.

*****-*****-CM74G-RPHKF-PW487

To illustrate my point that your key is a keyless install or default key search for the above on google.

Oh, Carl, dumb me - I could have answered your question straightaway. They (the keys) are not the same. The PW487-ended key that shows up in my report is not the same as the key that was sent to me by Microsoft via Digital River/Ultimate Steal. That is where the trouble is. If I click on 'Change my key' and try to put in the upgrade key, it gives me the error 0xC004F061, stating that this key could not be used for upgrade. But the product I bought last night clearly states in my receipt that it is a Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit.

That is the main cause of my 'Huh?' moment.

That error message says, "Software Licensing determined that this key could be used only with an upgrade, not a clean install." BUT that is exactly what I did. An upgrade, of the Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Professional - using the Windows Anytime Upgrade option! What is going on here?

• Edited by suirauqa Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:07 PM To add information
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hello suirauqa,

I wouldn't think MS would have such wildly varying pricing, $79.99 or $119.99 for the same thing (WAU from Starter to Pro).  Are you sure you weren't looking at the WAU from Starter to Home Premium---that's listed as $79.99 on the MS Store Site.

In the event that you can indeed purchase the WAU from Starter to Pro from within your Starter for $79.99, what's the beef?---it's $40 cheaper!

The Microsoft Store has a 30-day return policy for downloadable software.  Don't automatically assume you can't do a return---check the Student Store terms of sale.

EDIT:  Checked the Ultimate Steal for terms of sale---unfortunately there are no returns per this page:  http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msshus

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for picking up on this, Carl - when suiauqa first posted teh Diag results it came up as 'undupported OS!' , so I sent here here - then realised that it was because of an ancient version of Diag (1.5, no less!), which she'd managed to dredge up from the caverns of the MS site (WTH can't the get rid of outdated things like that, that are of no earthly use to anyone?)
    Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Hello suirauqa,

You wrote, "That error message says, "Software Licensing determined that this key could be used only with an upgrade, not a clean install." BUT that is exactly what I did. An upgrade, of the Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Professional - using the Windows Anytime Upgrade option! What is going on here?"

You attempted an upgrade of W7 Starter to W7 Pro using the WAU option, but with a standard retail upgrade product key acquired at the Ultimate Steal website.

Here are your options as I see them:

1.  Accept that you purchased the wrong thing (under the mistaken technical assumption that a retail upgrade product key would be accepted by WAU).  Buy the right thing via WAU and you're done.

2.  Since the retail upgrade to W7 Pro is still a genuine licensed product and is perfectly functional for its intended purpose, install a qualifying OS onto your computer, then use the retail W7 Pro upgrade to upgrade it.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:24 PM
  • suirauqa Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

I don't want to subject you to another install but that my be what is required in the end. Can you please insert your DVD, start an installation, see if it will accept the key. if so, you can cancel the installation before any changes are made or you can proceed to install over the existing installation as an upgrade or a clean installation. I think that for whatever reason the registry entry activation looks to says this was a full or custom install and not an upgrade install.

From what I could find on the SKU, it appears to be a full upgrade and NOT an anytime upgrade. If you would rather wait untill Tuesday for Darin to verify the key and tell you what kind of key it is and how to proceed then disregard what I said.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:28 PM
  • If you use the ANytime Upgrade system from within Win7 - does it disallow non-viable options or not? - never having had anything but Ultimate, I've never tried to find out!

..Or is the Student thingy not an option in Anytime Upgrade from the computer?

I get more and more confused every day by the complexity of MS's licensing/pricing schemes! I'd swear that there were as many options as licenses - but it'd cost more to administer than the R&D costs :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Have a look here!

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/482484/windows-7-home-premium-or-professio?page=42

£30 for the same SKU - OK that was earlier in the post-launch feeding frenzy, but...

<quote>

Product SKU: FQC-02811
    Product Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit (Pre-Ordered)
    Anticipated Released Date: 22 October 2009
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: £26.09
    </quote>

...and another £ 8 for the disks.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:00 PM
  • There was no mention of any non-viable option or anything, Noel . If the upgrade product key was not to be accepted at a later stage, the Windows Anytime Upgrade should not have accepted it at all. But that's not how it happened. With the WAU running, it gave me two choices - one, to go to the Microsoft Store and buy an upgrade, and two, enter an already bought upgrade key - which I did. The process finished fine last night, and then this morning - the nasty surprise.

Dan ,

You attempted an upgrade of W7 Starter to W7 Pro using the WAU option, but with a standard retail upgrade product key acquired at the Ultimate Steal website.
    Yes, it appears that that is what I did, doesn't it. Though I should perhaps remind you that the Ultimate Steal website is Microsoft's store front for qualifying student purchases. Or that the receipt that I got was from Microsoft. Or, even that nowhere in the fine print was it mentioned - prior to the purchase - that I could not use this product to upgrade from Windows 7 starter to Windows 7 Professional.
    Here are your options as I see them:
    1. Accept that you purchased the wrong thing (under the mistaken technical assumption that a retail upgrade product key would be accepted by WAU). By the right thing via WAU and you're done.
    2. Since the retail upgrade to W7 Pro is still a genuine licensed product and is perfectly functional for its intended purpose, install a qualifying OS onto your computer, then use the retail W7 Pro upgrade to upgrade it.

Ah, forgive my saying so, Dan, but as for option 1, you are sounding exactly like a business that doesn't care for the individual customer... Don't you think that it is a little too greedy and arrogant to expect the customer to make another purchase to make things work after the customer has already made a legitimate purchase of a product that purports to do the same thing?

And as for option 2, I don't have another "qualifying OS" that I can load and use the retail W7 Pro upgrade. My netbook came with Windows 7 Starter. I guess it's gone now.

Carl ,

Thank you for your kind suggestions and your patience. Unfortunately, mine is a netbook and doesn't have a DVD drive. I had downloaded the installation files that did not need a DVD to install, thinking that this was fine to do since it would be an in-place upgrade. So at this point, I don't have any options - but to wait for Darin to show up on Tuesday and instruct me as to how I should proceed.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:21 PM
  • You should still have access to the download I believe on your MS store account, download the installation file again and use this tool to make a USB thumbdrive that you can install windows from.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Eventually you will probably need to reinstall and I advise that even if you do not use this advise now, remember it for future consideration when needing to perform an installation. You will need a 4GB USB drive at a minimum, anything on the drive will be lost in the process of preparing it for the installation files.

Thanks

Carl

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Hello suirauqa,

I wouldn't think MS would have such wildly varying pricing, $79.99 or $119.99 for the same thing (WAU from Starter to Pro).  Are you sure you weren't looking at the WAU from Starter to Home Premium---that's listed as $79.99 on the MS Store Site.

In the event that you can indeed purchase the WAU from Starter to Pro from within your Starter for $79.99, what's the beef?---it's $40 cheaper!

The Microsoft Store has a 30-day return policy for downloadable software.  Don't automatically assume you can't do a return---check the Student Store terms of sale.

EDIT:  Checked the Ultimate Steal for terms of sale---unfortunately there are no returns per this page: http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msshus

No, no beef, Dan . Thanks for checking up those details. And please don't mind my earlier message. At this point, I am quite upset. The reason I went to the Microsoft student store is that (a) I work at a University that has a long-standing contract with Microsoft, and therefore, I am eligible for discounted Microsoft software - and have bought from Digital River earlier also, and (b) at the Microsoft Ultimate Steal storefront, I was getting the Professional edition (I went looking for Home Premium) for $64.95. Wouldn't you have taken such as opportunity?

I have been a long-time Microsoft customer for my personal computing needs, buying both MS-branded software and hardware. Heck, when everyone disses Vista, I still say that I am satisfied with mine, because with some tweaks here and there, I managed to make it work beautifully for me. But for the present problem - it amounts to deceptive business practice, the enforced difference between Anytime Upgrade and Retail Upgrade with scant documentation to inform the user; I didn't expect this from Microsoft. Honestly.

-----

Oh, and Noel , it's a he, not a she! :D

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:33 PM
  • You should still have access to the download I believe on your MS store account, download the installation file again and use this tool to make a USB thumbdrive that you can install windows from.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Eventually you will probably need to reinstall and I advise that even if you do not use this advise now, remember it for future consideration when needing to perform an installation. You will need a 4GB USB drive at a minimum, anything on the drive will be lost in the process of preparing it for the installation files.

Thanks

Carl

Thanks for pointing to that tool, Carl. As a matter of fact, I did download the ISO also, for the purpose of safekeeping. Let me try to find out if I can fish out my 4GB USB flash drive from somewhere. Then I can use the tool to do as you suggest. One quick question, though. Do you think that if I try an upgrade installation now - using the product key that I got - over the existing Win 7 Pro unactivated installation, would it work this time?
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:44 PM
  • These instruction are for the future, if you ever need to install. If you ever had to do a clean install you would have to restore the windows starter that came with the computer or install another qualifying OS for your upgrade product. For now I would wait to see if Darin can filter through this and find a way to activate you with a your upgrade key.

These instructions are for when something catastrophic happens and you absolutely have to reinstall.

Upgrade keys must be inserted when you start the upgrade from within windows, to do a clean installation you must start it from within a working windows installation. You can install from a thumb drive.

1. Create the USB installation disk,
    2. Browse to the USB drive and run the setup, follow the prompts, enter the key and make sure it is accepted before proceeding with install.
    3. If you choose to proceed with the installation you will need to select custom or upgrade.
    4. If asked to configure the drives DO NOT delete any partitions that may have the restoration image for windows 7 starter on it.
    5. proceed with the installation, if you choose upgrade setup will do a compatibility check, expand files, start the installation and reboot. It may be neccesary to remove the thumb drive to prevent the computer from booting from it. If you do not catch it in time and it does boot the the thumb drive, let it load the setup files, when it gets to the install screen restart and remove the thumb drive and let it boot to the hard drive and installation will continue as normal.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Thanks Carl. I shall keep these instructions in mind. For now, as you suggest, I shall wait for Tuesday, hoping that this thread comes under Darin's notice.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Nothing escapes his notice, don't worry, he will respond, it just may take him half an hour to read the thread.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:29 PM
  • "Carl_OH" wrote in message news:3d4f5a4e-fef5-4377-90cc-12e03a0947de...
    > These instruction are for the future, if you ever need to install. If you
    > ever had to do a clean install you would have to restore the windows
    > starter that came with the computer or install another qualifying OS for
    > your upgrade product. For now I would wait to see if Darin can filter
    > through this and find a way to activate you with a your upgrade key.
    >
    > These instructions are for when something catastrophic happens and you
    > absolutely have to reinstall.
    >
    > Upgrade keys must be inserted when you start the upgrade from within
    > windows, to do a clean installation you must start it from within a
    > working windows installation. You can install from a thumb drive.
    >
    > 1.. Create the USB installation disk,
    > 2.. Browse to the USB drive and run the setup, follow the prompts, enter
    > the key and make sure it is accepted before proceeding with install.
    > 3.. If you choose to proceed with the installation you will need to
    > select custom or upgrade.
    > 4.. If asked to configure the drives DO NOT delete any partitions that
    > may have the restoration image for windows 7 starter on it.
    > 5.. proceed with the installation, if you choose upgrade setup will do a
    > compatibility check, expand files, start the installation and reboot. It
    > may be neccesary to remove the thumb drive to prevent the computer from
    > booting from it. If you do not catch it in time and it does boot the the
    > thumb drive, let it load the setup files, when it gets to the install
    > screen restart and remove the thumb drive and let it boot to the hard
    > drive and installation will continue as normal.
    >

Carl/suirauqa
    - there is also a supported method for install 'clean' - the old
    double-switch.....
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

--
    Noel Paton
    CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Hello suirauqa,

This excerpt is from the page http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/terms.aspx:

4. Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional Upgrade (USD$64.95*): Perpetual license, which includes the following application:

• Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional Upgrade*

*You must be a licensed user of one of the following products to be eligible for purchase of Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional Upgrade License.

Qualifying Operating System for purchase of Windows Upgrade License

Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)
         Business (N, K, KN) / NOTE: “N”, “K”, and “KN” are specialized editions available for certain markets
         Business Blade PC Edition
         Ultimate
         Home Premium
         Home Basic

Windows XP (32-bit or 64-bit)
         XP Professional
         XP Tablet PC Edition
         XP Pro N
         XP Pro Blade PC Edition
         XP Home Edition

Allow me to point out that nowhere on this list of qualifying Operating Systems is Windows 7 itself.  Therefore, this upgrade license cannot be used to upgrade Windows 7 itself.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:00 AM
  • I see, Dan. It's all my fault. I get it now. The extremely restricted and unusable Windows 7 Starter edition, the idiotic upgrade path, the heartburn resulting from three days of hassle trying to figure out how to make it all work - everything, including paying my hard-earned money to Microsoft for purchasing an upgrade: all my fault.

Who's the genius who came up with the message in the commercials, "Windows 7 was my idea"? No sir, this state of affairs with Windows 7 was definitely not my idea.

Darin, are you here yet?

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:32 PM
  • A big thanks to everyone who wrote in and tried to help me, Noel, Carl, Dan. I have learnt quite a bit through this discussion, and shall keep them in mind in the future. My current problem is now resolved after calling Microsoft's Tech Support. It took me quite some time to reach them; navigating through automated systems was a bit of a pain, but finally when we got connected, the tech support person listened to my problem, understood the issue, and ran a tool called MSDT. I had to put in some numbers that they provided, and eventually the Activation system recognized my product key. So my Windows 7 Professional is now activated and working.
    • Marked as answer by suirauqa Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:22 PM
  • "suirauqa" wrote in message news:072a4eba-3c76-4ab5-ac31-e9ce08f85bc3...
    >A big thanks to everyone who wrote in and tried to help me, Noel, Carl,
    >Dan.

A Result!
    Glad to hear you managed to sort it out. We all learn things every day in
    these forums - which is why most of us are here.

Good Luck!
    --

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:54 PM