Confusion about recommended upgrade steps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a confusion about the recommended upgrade steps as in MSDN.

1. Establish a new instance of SQL Server. You can use an existing instance but it must not be the same instance where the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 configuration database is located.
    2. Run Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2013 Setup on a new 64-bit computer that does not already have Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011 installed.
    3. Back up the production Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 configuration and organization databases and restore them to the new instance of SQL Server.

My question is that we set up a new sql server, and then install the brand new CRM 2013 on a new server.  It should generate a MSCRM_CONFIG database in the new SQL server instance as in step 1 and step 2.  However, in step 3, we are going to overwrite that database from the CRM 2011 backup?  Is this the correct step? Or

1. Establish a new SQL Instance
    2. Copy Configuration database over
    3. Install CRM 2013 but connect to and upgrade an existing deployment by pointing to copied Configuration database
    4. Copy organization databases over
    5. Deployment manager import those organization databases

Thanks,

Ning 

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:00 PM

All replies

• So it depends on if you have a complex configuration (like an IFD) that needs restoration in the Config database. I personally prefer to set up the new server and then migrate just the organization database if I'm not doing an in-place upgrade.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Based on your reply, I assume the original post is correct, so CRM 2013 can still use a CONFIG database backed up and restored from CRM 2011.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:36 PM
  • Well, on that I'm not sure.  I've always done the process of restore the Config and org databases to the new SQL server, then run the CRM 2013 installer and choose "Connect to existing instance".  That then will update the config database as needed.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Any Microsoft folk can comment on this?  Our company is planning some upgrades from CRM 2011 to CRM 2013, but we are confused now with recommended steps on MSDN.  We can certainly test to see what approach is beat.  However, before that, we try to get some insights from people who build that.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:10 PM